Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
Bottle and can releases
- Sideways Farm & Brewery releases German Brown (5.2 percent ABV) on Friday, Oct. 12. Also known as an Altbier, it’s made with Riverbend’s Heritage malt and bottle conditioned using local wildflower honey. 750 milliliter bottles will be sold for $11. Individual pours will also be available.
- **NEW** Green Man Brewery releases Tart Berry (4.2 percent ABV) on Thursday, Oct. 11. The Berliner Weisse is brewed with blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. It will be available on draft and in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $15, or individually for $6. Demon Dweller Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (10 percent ABV) is also currently available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $20, or individually for $7. It’s scheduled to be on draft for Halloween.
- Burial Beer Co. has a double can release on Saturday, Oct. 13. The Shattered Remains of Reality Imperial Stout with Coconut (9.3 percent ABV) is made with 10 pounds of shredded coconut per barrel. Individual 16 ounce cans cost $6. Hellstar Dark Lager (5 percent ABV) will be available in four-packs of 12-ounce cans for $12.
- **NEW** Hi-Wire Brewing releases Sour Vintage Ale with Black Tea and Peaches (8.11 percent ABV) on Saturday, Oct. 13, at noon at its South Slope taproom. The foeder-aged ale will be available in 750 milliliter bottles for $18 and will not see distribution.
Small-batch beers and ciders
- Asheville Brewing Co. is currently pouring its first ginger beer, Ginger Soul Sister (4.8 percent ABV), brewed with fresh Peruvian and Appalachian ginger, and Norwegian Forest Cat Kviek IPA (6.9 percent ABV), made with a Norwegian Farmhouse yeast and hopped with Idaho 7, Mosaic and Simcoe.
- **NEW** Thirsty Monk Brewery is currently pouring Monk’s Promise Session IPA (5 percent ABV), hopped with Columbus, Centennial, Mosaic and Simcoe, at both of its Asheville locations.
- In addition to its aforementioned packaged products also being available on draft the day of their release, Burial taps Thin Blades of Obsidian Saison Ale (5.2 percent ABV) on Wednesday, Oct. 10, brewed with 100 percent Skagit Valley Malt from Burlington, Wash., a rare malt that produces a flavor and aroma resembling bran flakes.
- On Friday, Oct. 12, Sideways releases Fennel Flower Farmhouse (5.5 percent ABV), an open fermented ale brewed with fennel flowers and coriander grown on the brewery’s farm, then bottle conditioned using local wildflower honey. The beer will only be available in small pours.
- **NEW** Blue Ghost Brewing Co. releases No Noggin Pumpkinhead Ghostman Ale on Saturday, Oct. 13, at 1 p.m., during its Harvest Festival. The first 50 customers will receive a free glass engraved with No Noggin artwork. Remaining glasses will be available for purchase.
- General admission tickets for Burial‘s Burnpile Harvest Festival go on sale Wednesday, Oct. 10, at noon. VIP packages are sold out. The event will be held Saturday, Nov. 3, 2-8 p.m. Admission is $20 and includes glassware and two tokens for beer pours or food. Additional tokens are $3 each. If tickets are still available the day of the event, they will cost $25.
- **NEW** Fifth Season Gardening Co. is currently having a sale on multiple varieties of hops. The complete list of reduced price options is available here.
- Daidala Ciders hosts Original Sin Cider founder Gidon Coll for a free apple tasting on Friday, Oct. 12, 4-7 p.m. Samples of Niedzwetzkyana, Pink Pearl, Northern Spy, Kandil Sinap, Frostbite, Lamb Abbey Pearmain, Black Oxford, Virginia Crab, Harrison, Ashmead’s Kernal, Calville Blanc, Hudson’s Golden Gem, Golden Russet and Pitmaston Pineapple will be provided.