- This month's round of comics discuss summer adventures, pet meltdowns and essential dining in Asheville."Wolfe’s writings shed a brighter light on how prolific health tourism was specifically, and how that significantly escalated with the arrival of the railroad in the 1880s," says historian Kayla…The Steep Canyon Rangers' Graham Sharp on hometown shows. Plus, Citizen Vinyl gets a new producer in residence; a new art exhibition at Wedge Brewing Company; and more.
- Local veterans discuss how their military service helped inspire the breweries they operate today.The Hound, a new lounge concept from Zambra owner Peter Montague and The Copper Crown owner Adam Bannasch, has opened on Tunnel Road in East Asheville. Cheekily named after the…
- Cool nights are taking a toll on heat-loving veggies such as peppers, corn, tomatoes and eggplant. You might want to tuck them in at night.
- "We are very proud of his service and dedication to his country, but losing him was the hardest thing I have ever done," says Anne Adkins, a Gold Star Mother."I didn't think twice about serving — it was something I had to do," says Ted Minnick."I would argue that thanking someone for their service is completely appropriate when coming from a place of authenticity," says Kevin Rumley.To mark the 20th anniversary of the start of the Iraq War, Xpress sat down with six local veterans to reflect on their experiences, their return to civilian life and…"My experiences in Iraq and working in veteran services has made me staunchly antiwar, as I have seen the negative consequences and destruction armed conflict leaves in its wake," says…Among the complaints Asheville residents have about their city, litter is one that most can agree on. A new pilot program initiated this spring by the city Public Works Department…Last month, Rep. Chuck Edwards convened a nine-member agricultural advisory board to provide a variety of perspectives as he advocates for the region’s interests in the farm bill.Ivan Sarabia reflects on his time in basic training and Afghanistan, as well as his life after serving overseas."My Air Force years broadened my horizons geographically and intellectually, brought me lifelong friends and the love of my life," says local resident Monica Walsh Blankenship.While military enlistment has long been considered a patriotic and meaningful means of employment and education, national reports indicate that all branches of the military have experienced declining enlistment in…"After hearing that you served in the military, civilians sometimes tend to close the conversation loop, not sure of how to proceed or where the conversation will lead," says Ellis…Some veterans find it difficult to adjust after military service. They might lack skills that lead to civilian jobs, and in some cases, that leads to homelessness. Recognizing those challenges,…Brevard military museum doesn't gloss over war's lingering human toll.Alan Yeck discusses his family's long history of service and what it means to serve.The $430.4 million general fund budget increases the property tax rate one cent to 49.8 cents per $100 of taxable value, or about 2%, resulting in the county’s highest tax…
- "It’s the greedy, unrestrained development that is ruining Asheville and the surrounding communities.""Instead of decreasing the population of bears by killing them, why don’t we try limiting our production of food waste?""On July 1, a new coalition called NC People’s Power is organizing Days of Outrage in 13 cities across North Carolina to speak out against the attacks on 'our bodies,…