- The artist will display about a dozen paintings as part of the group exhibition Reverie, which opens at Blue Spiral 1 on Thursday, Sept. 6.On Sunday, Sept. 2, the Christy Lynn Band will take the stage as one of the many musical acts perfuming at the Living Asheville Arts Festival on Lexington Avenue.On Tuesday, Sept. 4, local author Jacqui Castle will celebrate the release of her debut novel, 'The Seclusion,' at Malaprop’s.Puppetteer Lisa Aimee Sturz performs her multimedia show Sept. 1-2 at White Horse Black Mountain.Featuring 10 bands, the metal festival takes place Saturday, Sept. 1, at the Mothlight and Sunday, Sept. 2, at The Orange Peel.The Snozzberries' immersive, collaborative A/V experience takes place Aug. 31 at Asheville Music Hall.The purveyors of "NOLA Future Funk" play One Stop on Aug. 30.The downtown space has an opening reception for two shows on Aug. 30.The Groundling provides a modern, comedic take on Shakespeare. It's so well-written that, when the truth comes out, it’s a profound shift in tone that the actors execute superbly.
- The Bryson City brewery's West Asheville taproom and restaurant will operate in the former Anchor Bar location on Haywood Road.The award-winning author of The Cooking Gene will speak at the upcoming Carolina Mountain Literary Festival and UNC Asheville's annual Farm-to-Table Dinner on the Quad as well as in the…On Saturday, Sept. 1, plēb urban winery celebrates its grand opening in the River Arts District. Also: Postero hosts a fundraiser for Pisgah Legal Service; Craft Centric Taproom & Bottle…
- Walking a labyrinth can have a healing effect on emotional, physical and spiritual levels, say labyrinth walkers, builders and a leading researcher.The self-guided tour will feature a wide range of garden designs established both at older homes and newly constructed residences.
- On April 7, 1927, Asheville's Colored Library opened inside the YMI Building.Students and scholars from Asheville, as well as representatives of several religious organizations here, are among those who have traveled to the National Memorial for Peace in Justice in Montgomery.…GemFinding owner Chip Freeman hopes that the community will rally behind his last two river cleanups, taking place at Azalea Park on Saturday, Sept. 1, and Saturday, Sept. 15. “The…Slated to open on Saturday, Sept. 1., the lot will offer 100 new spaces with 24/7 access at $70 per month. Dana Frankel, downtown development specialist with the city, notes…Garden Party, a new retail store, will host its grand opening Thursday, Aug. 30 in the former location of The Drygoods Shop at 474 Haywood Road in West Asheville. Several Asheville…Commissioners spent a large chunk of their meeting on Aug. 21 weighting the merits of implementing several changes to the county’s personnel policy — including one that would do away…
- "Asheville can lead this charge starting by the City Council committing to a green fleet by 2030. This commitment is an important benchmark in Buncombe County’s goal of being 100…"I'm an old lady who has lived all over the U.S. and always had trash collection at my house, and never has the service been as bad as I've had…"They need to be thinned out by removal, sterilization, extended hunting season or whatever is appropriate in order for the bear population to remain healthy and the human population to…"Jane Kennedy and I are leading Tai Chi for Arthritis and Falls Prevention in West Asheville on Friday mornings, starting Sept. 7. The class is free to participants.""Now we have seen release of body-cam footage, strictly illegal under state law absent judicial review. What was the aim? To embarrass current Asheville Police Chief Tammy Hooper.""I have to follow the data, and the data shows that, despite great progress, we still have a pollution problem on the French Broad and that it's not always safe…"The problem isn't that we are taking over their habitat. Asheville is surrounded by thousands of acres of protected land; it's just the food thing is easier in ours.""We have to think 'globally' about the source of our energy use in order to combat the imminent and extraordinary financial, social and public health costs that will inevitably arise…