- The bestselling author discusses life during the pandemic, the decision to end her popular series and its potential second life on the screen.Representatives from White Horse, The Grey Eagle and The Orange Peel discuss their approaches to welcoming audiences back indoors.
Around town: Fairview painter’s work going to the moon, indoor theater productions returning soon and more arts newsKimberly Dow will be part of the first group of women to have their art on the lunar surface; SART announces its 2021 season; and more area arts news.
- After a mad scramble to reinvent themselves last spring, WNC's neighborhood tailgate markets look ahead to the 2021 growing seaso
- Now that North Carolina gyms are allowed to open at 75% indoor capacity, studio owners and fitness enthusiasts share their thoughts about returning to the gym.
- Last spring's supply problems have persisted this growing season — and have extended to commercial farming operations — as seed companies grapple with coronavirus-induced labor issues and consistently high demand.At its March 25 regular meeting, the Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority board unanimously approved a projection that occupancy tax revenue would exceed $27 million for fiscal year 2021-22 —…“[The funding is] intended to be a pandemic response; it’s not actually intended to end homelessness. It just is, happily, an opportunity for us to end homelessness, because that is…The latest executive order from Gov. Roy Cooper raises the indoor mass gathering limit from 25 to 50 people and the outdoor mass gathering limit from 50 to 100. All…“It goes without saying that the protests were unprecedented in the city and for law enforcement officers nationwide,” said Asheville Police Chief David Zack. “Never before had APD encountered a…“I’m looking forward to the day we can have a centerpiece in our city that reflects Asheville today," said Asheville Mayor Esther Manheimer. "And I’m proud to be part of…
- "North Carolina is poised to be on the wrong side of history unless our legislature acts quickly. We are one of the handful of states that has not yet ratified…"Allowing The Bluffs to proceed without ensuring our public safety is playing with fire.""If the rural children can’t do their classwork because of lack of internet access, then how are the parents going to get the information they need?""Concerned residents should contact the Buncombe County Board of Commissioners and demand a signed memorandum of understanding with ACS that preserves all ACS buildings and pre-K classrooms before future funding…"We’ve already lost the goose and the golden egg. Now the City Council is selling what’s left to the highest bidders.""Creative police funding should be used to bring down the temperature between police and citizens.""Asheville City Schools owes a debt to the African American community. This debt must be paid forward; Stephens-Lee faculty offer a model."In a change from previous City Council practice, and in opposition to advice provided by a UNC School of Government expert on open meetings, Asheville City Council plans to go…