- For those of us who want to kick this year to the curb and see in — albeit with some trepidation — 2017, here’s where to sip some bubbly, wear…Mook, Siren Xo, Rad & James, Mic Savvy, Blaze III, Marley P and DJ Bionik from New York City will perform at the showcase at UpCountry Brewing on Friday, Dec.…For several years now, Celtic fiddler Jamie Laval has crafted a special December program for audiences. He presents “Celtic Christmas,” a family-friendly performance that showcases not only Christmas traditions, but…The Friday, Dec. 30, performance at the Burnsville Town Center is a homecoming show for Ross, who grew up in the Western North Carolina locale.Futurebirds will perform at The Grey Eagle on Friday, Dec. 30"We are proud to support NARAL and the worthy cause of protecting women's reproductive rights in the United States," says Melissa Hyman of Sweet Claudette, the band headlining an upcoming…The Nth Power takes the stage at The Asheville Music Hall, along with Dynamo, on Thursday, Dec. 29.Nine years in the making, Admiral Dance Parties continue through New Year's Eve.
- Craft brewing is a business driven by a strong sense of place, and industry people tend to be passionate about their communities. Environmental sustainability is a high priority for craft…From cell phone use to tipping, Asheville waitstaff and bartenders talk about ways to be a more courteous customer.Asheville-area brewery representatives name their favorite local and non-local beers from 2016 and what they're looking forward to in the new year.Whether you're in Asheville, Hendersonville, Marshall or Saluda, Western North Carolina is planning a host of tasty New Year's Eve options.
- Local professionals agree that a well-maintained wellness routine is the first step in preventing the type of depression known as seasonal affective disorder, which commonly occurs during the winter when…
- Registration opens for Asheville School of Film’s first courses of 2017, Swannanoa Studios screens a Sigur Rós documentary and more.
- Dave Mittler says he’s been parking in the little lot at 70 S. Market St. for years. But when he slid in there on the evening of Sept. 30 so…With a bevy of companies relocating or expanding operations in Western North Carolina, economic boosters, educators and business representatives are working to prepare the next generation of workers to meet…
- "As a trailer dweller, I still have one big reason to be hopeful about Trump, which is that he will use the presidency to leverage zoning variances to build millions…"They have the opportunity to learn about our state’s history, investigate marine life, experience the ocean and visit historical sites connected with our Essential Standards.""Deplorably, the writer supporting short-term rentals is ignorant about what the untold value of a good neighbor is, the immeasurable effect a close neighborhood has on one’s quality of life,…Asheville"A package to attract those jobs would require many moving parts, but the longest lead-time component would be an effort to get all our kids into an Asheville City Schools…"The old Asheville Middle School, outdated and undercomputerized, was a holdover from a time when there was no such thing as a car pool line, or drinking fountains designed to…Asheville