- The Brooklyn-based world music ensemble promotes global unity on its energetic new album.The long running stage show — with strong local ties — plays Diana Wortham Theatre through Aug. 19.The acclaimed bassist brings her purple Mohawk to Salvage Station on Aug. 12.This year’s Asheville Comedy Festival features four separate comedy showcases with 44 comedians from across the United States and Canada. It kicks off Thursday, Aug. 9, at Highland Brewing Co.,…The co-creators of the Asheville-based audio drama perform two episodes live on Aug. 12 at The Magnetic Theatre.Entertainment will feature the Confluence Trio during the VIP reception (5:30-7 p.m.) and DJ Marley Carroll during the main event. Brian Fleetwood, a 2012 Windgate Fellow based in Santa Fe,…Director Marci Bernstein takes the audience on 11 unrelated journeys in monologues by a who's who of local talent. Each scene is its own story, and each actress holds the…The Japanese-born guitarist returns to Isis on Aug. 9.
- Through a partnership with Patchwork Urban Farms, chef Gene Ettison is leveraging a new entrepreneurial venture to bring healthy meals and grocery options to Asheville's food deserts.Although local eateries work to accommodate disabled guests, accessibility and other issues continue to make dining out difficult for many.On Saturday, Aug. 11 the the Renaissance Asheville Hotel will host the seventh annual White Fundraiser. The event benefits the local nonprofit Loving Food Resources. Also this week: Summer at…
- Bill Jones and Shelby Singleton Jackson of Carolina Native Nursery will speak about how to use native Western North Carolina plants to create environmentally friendly landscapes that conserve water, require…
- Asheville Brewing launches a video contest, Hi-Wire's Summer of Will film series concludes and more.
- Voting for the inaugural Best Of began in April 1995. Winners were announced the following month.A service club made up of adults with disabilities makes a contribution to Interfaith Assistance Ministry in Hendersonville, Buncombe County Veterans Services moves to a new location, the city of…The plurality of Asheville city government's greenhouse gas emissions in fiscal year 2017 — roughly 9,100 tons — came from burning fossil fuels, such as coal and natural gas, to…Two local agencies, the Needle Exchange Program of Asheville and The Steady Collective, provide clean needles and other supplies to help reduce the negative health effects of habitual drug use…On Saturday, Aug. 11, Ben Steere will present The Archaeology of Mounds & Towns at the Reuter Center at UNC Asheville.Many accused the representative, in his House leadership position as chief deputy majority whip, of giving a free pass to President Donald Trump for behavior they believe to be unethical.…
- "The point is that all of the unique, lovely, authentic spaces in this town are rapidly being snatched up and turned into something ubiquitous, bland and elitist.""In Western North Carolina, an April ICE raid placed 27 people in a detention center in Georgia, five hours away from their families.""I am not too concerned about the façade of a building and would rather see creative designs that reflect many Asheville citizens’ values and true Asheville style.""Where is the questioning and outrage about this and other fatal shootings of area young people, especially those in public housing? ""Not to go all Revelations or Jeremiah on you, but just because Denzel Washington isn’t roaming an apocalyptic landscape that used to be Western North Carolina with a 12-gauge pump…ASHEVILLE, NC"We need city and county managers who, together with our elected officials, can tackle key issues and help us navigate this new reality called the greater Asheville area."ASHEVILLE, NC