• The Musical Matinees weekly summer film series continues at the Columbus Public Library, 1289 W. Mills St., Columbus, on Friday, Aug. 10, at 1 p.m. with Bye Bye Birdie. Free. polklibrary.org
• Pack Memorial Library, 67 Haywood St., continues its Phenomenal Friday Fantasy Films series on Aug. 10 at 3 p.m. with Labyrinth. Complimentary popcorn and drinks will be provided. Free. avl.mx/514
• The North Asheville Library, 1030 Merrimon Ave., screens Project Nim on Friday, Aug. 10, at 6 p.m. The 2011 documentary from James Marsh (Man on Wire) chronicles the life of chimpanzee Nim Chimpsky, who was raised as a human child and became proficient in American Sign Language. Free. avl.mx/56k
• Asheville Parks & Recreation continues its Movies in the Park series on Friday, Aug. 10, at Pack Square Park, 80 Court Plaza, with a screening of the teen musical Breaking Legs. Children’s craft activities start at 6:30 p.m., and the film begins at dusk. Attendees are asked to bring their own chairs, blankets and snacks. Free. ashevillenc.gov/departments/parks
• Hi-Wire Brewing, 2 Huntsman Place, concludes its Summer of Will film series, featuring movies starring Will Ferrell, on Saturday, Aug. 11, at 8:30 p.m. with Zoolander. The parking lot of the brewery’s Big Top facility will be transformed into an outdoor movie theater for the rain-or-shine event. Attendees are asked to bring their own lawn chairs, blankets and other comfortable seating. Free. hiwirebrewing.com
• Asheville Brewing Co. invites community members to create a short video about their favorite aspect of the long-running brewpub and movie theater. Entries are encouraged to be fun “fan” videos of “anything from pizza, movies, beer, our locations, our movie-designed tables, the game room, our family-friendly approach or even our new taco shop, Asheville Tacos & Taps.”
Videos can be no longer than 30 seconds, must feature content and language appropriate for all ages and be at least 1920-by-1080 resolution with clear, high-quality sound. The submission deadline is Wednesday, Aug. 22, at 11 p.m. Videos may be emailed through FileTransfer, Dropbox, Google Drive or other file compression means to Wyman Tannehill, firstname.lastname@example.org, who is also the contact for contestants wanting to film at an Asheville Brewing location and work out logistics.
The contest is free to enter. Winning videos and staff favorites will be shown in the preshow entertainment at the Merrimon Avenue location’s cinema and shared on the company’s social media. First place receives $250 cash, second place $100 and third place $50. Every entry that meets contest guidelines receives a $30 Asheville Brewing gift card, good for food, beer, merchandise and movies tickets. ashevillebrewing.com