- “They were the kind of people who you gravitated to and wanted to hang out with,” says local musician Dan Lewis. “There was something about their music that was spontaneous…The River Arts District's Spring Studio Stroll takes place over Mother’s Day weekend — Saturday and Sunday, May 20 and 21.To celebrate the open mic and jam session's third anniversary, organizer Jon Edwards is returning Musicians in the Round to its roots: Every Monday in May is devoted to songs…The promising dancers perform at at Diana Wortham Theatre on Sunday, May 14.Currently a four-piece (banjo player Jim McCarthy and guitarist Dave Gilbert plus bassist Max Steel and Ween drummer Claude Coleman Jr.), Skunk Ruckus originally came together around the core duo…Con Brio headlines Asheville Music Hall on Saturday, May 13.The play, produced by the locally based Ellipsis Theater Company, is a tale of new neighbors and rocky relationships.The comedians will perform on Saturday, May 13, at The Grey Eagle.Award-winning Appalachian musician Aaron Burdett will celebrate the release of his new album, Refuge, at Isis Music Hall on Friday, May 12.
- Asheville, NCAsheville chef Zika Singogo is partnering with local farmer and food supplier Kendall Huntley to provide sustainability-focused food at the Cradle of Forestry.Booze is big business in Western North Carolina these days, and everyone seems eager to cash in on the opportunity. There are 34 breweries operating now in the Asheville area, the…The Pretzel Fest highlights the unique flavors offered by Asheville Pretzel Co. Also: Posana supports ASAP's Growing Minds Program, Postero dinner benefits St. Gerard House and The Market Place hosts…Focusing on flawless production of traditional beer styles, the new brewery is slated to open on the South Slope in late June or early July.
- Brewing your own beer is all the rage, but for those who prefer the road less traveled, making mead at home is a more offbeat alternative. Marisa Percoco will offer…In a digital age in which we're purportedly more connected than ever, loneliness is a an epidemic, leading many Asheville residents to seek connection in new and surprising ways.Proceeds from the event will support the Henderson County chapter of Big Brother Big Sister, which currently serves 75 matches (a big and little) with mentoring in community and school…
- Just Peace for Israel/Palestine’s Stories of Struggle, Conscience and Spirit film festival continues, UNCA students, faculty and alumni screen their collaborative film and more.
- As a steady rain falls outside, Philip Caruso stands in the bedroom of his new apartment. “I don’t care [that it’s raining],” he says. “For the first time in decades,…This year's rainy spring has been keeping citizen science volunteers with the Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network busy checking their gauges and recording the rainfall totals. The network…Buncombe County commissioners identified combating opioid abuse and increasing teacher salary supplements as top priorities. But is legal marijuana a viable strategy for achieving those goals, or merely smoke and…An exhibit of design options created by Clemson University architecture students as part of their coursework provided a tantalizing, if brief, view of the kinds of possibilities that could become…Asheville's Planning & Zoning Commission heard the last hotel zoning application submitted under the city's previous zoning rules, which changed on Feb. 14. The commission approved a 112-room Courtyard by…
- "Too much of what we now call 'science' is bought and paid for by corporations with frankly appalling conflicts of interest.""You will see where Beaucatcher is being deforested and bulldozed for new home construction, all plans apparently meeting city specifications. Am I the only one who is concerned about this?""Our local businesses rely on quality child care — many can’t do their job without it. Without safe, affordable options to care for their young children, parents may leave their…"It has been suggested that Duke license and implement the eScore program, which was highly successful for the Tennessee Valley Authority. EScore is attractive to both homeowners and participating contractors…"The scene at the depot was a depressing beehive as these raw recruits, many no more than young boys, had their last meal with their families at the Atlantic Quick…