This weekend is shaping up to be spectacular in terms of weather. I know a lot of you will be tying up traffic on Tunnel Road trying to snatch up a few Christmas gifts, but there are a few things happening worth checking out. For those who were proactive enough to get their Christmas shopping done early, or if you simply don’t believe in buying your relatives plastic junk they don’t need and will never use, I would consider taking advantage of mild winter weekends like this to get outside and enjoy yourself.
Saturday and Sunday, Jackson Park in Hendersonville will be hosting the tenth anniversary of international cyclocross races. Every year the North Carolina Cyclocross Series (NCCX) organizes two UCI races. These are races where riders can gain points toward their international ranking. Races will be happening all day with professionals taking the stage at 2 p.m., with the UCI Elite Women’s Race followed by the men’s at 3 p.m. Expect to see some of the top professionals in the country duking it out on an amazing course laid out by NCCX’s own Tim Hopkins. Register online at pre-reg.com.
The Tryon Running Club and Holy Cross Church will be hosting their first annual running race in Tryon this weekend. Runners can choose between a 10k, 5k and 1k run. According to the promoter, “funds raised from the race go to the Holy Cross Scholarship fund, which benefits all students in the community, not just those who attend Holy Cross Church.” Races kick off at 9 a.m., and you can register here.
The Asheville Hiking Group is coming on strong this weekend with a few great hikes, all on Sunday. If you’re looking for a strenuous hike, they are headed to the top of Mt. Conte as part of an 11-mile hike. Meet at Westgate Plaze in the Earthfare parking lot. They are also leading a 10-14-mile Linville Gorge exploratory hike, also leaving from Westgate Plaza at 8:30 a.m., and a Pigeon River 8-mile hike leaving from the Bi-Lo in Pisgah Forest at 9 a.m.
That’s it for this week! If you have an event or outdoor activity that you would like to see posted, just let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- 12/13 — NC Cyclocross Series – NCCX #10 :UCI Grand Prix (Hendersonville, NC) More Info
- 12/14 — NC Cyclocross Series – NCCX #11 : UCI Grand Prix (Hendersonville, NC) More Info
- 12/13 — Liberty Bikes – Saturday Bent Creek MTB Rides Beginner & Intermediate (Every Saturday) More Info
- 12/13 — Sycamore Cycles Spin & Grin Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 12/17 – Pisgah SORBA Bent Creek Night Ride (Every Wednesday) More Info
Running / Hiking
- 12/14 — Tryon Running Club – Holy Cross 10k, 5k and 1k (Tryon, NC) More Info
- 12/14 — Asheville hiking Group – TENTATIVE – Mt. Conte – 11 mile – strenuous (Westgate Earthfare @ 7:45am) More Info
- 12/14 — Asheville Hiking Group – Linville Gorge Exploratory 10-14 mile (Westgate Earthfare @ 8:30am) More Info
- 12/14 — Asheville Hiking Group – Pigeon River 8 mile – moderate (Bi-Lo @ Pisgah Forest) More Info
- 12/14 — Asheville ultimate – Pickup Games (Every Sunday through winter) More Info