With the May 6 primary election on the horizon—and a large turnout of voters anticipated—unregistered residents may still get themselves on the rolls and vote during One-Stop Early Voting (through May 3). Handicapped voters may use curbside Early Voting at Buncombe County Election Services, 189 College St. Or for a mail-in, absentee ballot, contact Rachel Brown at 250-4218.
• Until May 3: One-Stop Early Voting at the following locations (you may register and vote on the same day—bring ID with address): Asheville Senior Opportunity Center on Grove Street; Biltmore Square Mall; the Buncombe Election Services Office; Carver Community Center in Black Mountain; Weaverville Town Hall; and the Fairview, Leicester, North Asheville, South Buncombe and West Asheville libraries.
• April 23: Meet with Avram Friedman, Democratic candidate for the 119th District, N.C. House, at the Paddler’s Pub (above Relia’s Garden Restaurant at the Nantahala Outdoor Center) on Highway 19 West, Bryson City, from 7 to 9 p.m. For information, call 226-9186.
• April 24: Hillary Meet-up, Atlanta Bread Company on Merrimon Avenue, 7 p.m. For information, call 684-5281.
• April 25: Avram Friedman, Democratic candidate for the 119th District, N.C. House, will meet-and-greet at the Everett Street Diner in Bryson City at ll:30 a.m. For more info, call 226-9186.
• April 25: Fish fry for Keith Thomson, candidate for the Buncombe Board of Commissioners, at the Fellowship Hall of the WNC Community Health Center, 312 Haywood Road, from 5 to 7:30 p.m.
April 28: Fundraiser for David Gantt, candidate for Buncombe Board of Commissioners chair, 5:30 to 7 p.m., historic Childes House Tour ($100). Call 252-2852 for information.
• April 28: Presentations by the judicial candidates for the N.C. Court of Appeals, followed by a debate between the Republican primary candidates for Congress, District 11. Sponsored by the Asheville-Buncombe and the Henderson County Leagues of Women Voters, at Calvary Episcopal Church on Hendersonville Road, 7 p.m.
• April 28: Forum for Democratic candidates for Buncombe Board of Commissioners, 7:30 to 9 p.m. at Kenilworth Presbyterian Church.
• April 29: Forum for Republican candidates for Buncombe Board of Commissioners, sponsored by Mountain Voices Alliance, at Woodfin Community Center, 7 to 9 p.m.
• April 29: Candidates for Buncombe Board of Commissioners will be featured on Citizens Speak public access television show from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Questions from the TV audience may be called in live on the TV show. All commission candidates are invited. The show airs on Charter Channel 20 (URTV).
• May 1: The Buncombe County Republican Party hosts the final Republican Gubernatorial Candidates Debate before the primary at the YMI Cultural Center, 39 S. Market St., 7 to 9 p.m., preceded by a reception from 5:30 to 6:45 p.m. A panel of community and state leaders, including Dr. Errington Thompson and former Buncombe GOP Chairman Bill Fishburne, will question the candidates before opening the meeting to questions from the audience.
• May 6: Primary election.
April 30 will be our final Campaign Calendar before the Primary. Please send event information to firstname.lastname@example.org.