Have you heard of the Cullowhee Community Garden? Or the Black Mountain Tailgate Market? How about the Downtown Welcome Table? Our new, online Farm + Garden page hopes to be a resource for WNC growers and eaters to connect and learn. (Photo of Cullowhee Community Garden Manager Adam Bigelow by Carrie Eidson.)
Springtime is coming up fast, and if you weren’t already excited about the new season, we’ve got some news to knock you right out of your dreary, winter socks.
Our Farm & Garden section has returned to the pages of MX and will run from March to October. As in our inaugural year, we will be bringing you a weekly feature on area growers, gardening tips and techniques or community projects, as well as our gardening calendar that will provide a run-down of area events.
But this year, we want to do more, and we’d like your help. We’re working to create an online resource for growers, shoppers, volunteers and our community as a whole. Here are some of our planned features:
• Media galleries featuring photos and videos of gardens throughout the region
• Interactive maps showing locations for area tailgate markets, community gardens and food assistance programs
• Volunteering opportunities, including garden workdays and pantry service hours
• Profiles of community organizations combatting food insecurity
• Event listings and locations
• Recipes and cooking demonstration videos
But we can’t do this without your help! Send your workdays, markets hours, photos, ideas and information to firstname.lastname@example.org or tag us on Twitter and Instagram with #MXgarden to help us get our page “growing.”