Come tonight, a few local candidates will be out and about partying with supporters. At least one will be working. For others? Well, they prefer a quiet evening at home with friends and family, with a possible early visit to the Buncombe County Election Services at 189 College St. as returns start to come in.
“I usually just watch the returns at home with my family,” said Democrat Bill Stanley, who is running for re-election to the Buncombe County Board of Commissioners and for whom election night is old hat. (Stanley has been a Commissioner since 1988.)
“I don’t get a party,” quipped board candidate Republican Don Yelton. That’s because he’ll be at work hosting his live, televised call-in show Citizens Speak on local-access URTV (Charter Cable channel 20, from 7:30-9:30 p.m.) on election night. While he won’t be mingling with supporters in the classic sense, Yelton said that they (and anybody else) are more than welcome to tune in and call the show to chat about the election as final results start coming in after the polls close at 7:30 p.m.
Who are the homebound? Among Board of Commission candidates, they include Republicans Steve Bledsoe and John Carroll; among Democrats, they include Stanley and perhaps K. Ray Bailey.
“Actually, I’m not sure where we’re going to be,” said Bailey, who mentioned that he may pay a visit to the county Election Services office.
As for the balance of local candidates for the Board of Commissioners and the trio of GOP candidates seeking to challenge Democratic Rep. Heath Shuler in November, here’s a rundown of where they will be after polls close Tuesday night:
11th Congressional District candidates:
• Carl Mumpower — Campaign headquarters, Suite 310, One Oak Plaza (located off College Street across from Tripp’s Restaurant)
• John Armor—- Sweetreats, 11 Mountain Brook Way, Highlands
• Spence Campbell — The Peddler Steak House, 140 White St., Hendersonville
Buncombe County Board of Commissioners candidates:
• Joe Dunn — Magnolia’s Raw Bar & Grille, 29 Walnut St., Asheville
• Mike Fryar — Magnolia’s Raw Bar & Grille, 29 Walnut St., Asheville
• Bob Hill — Days Inn, 201 Tunnel Road, Asheville
• Vernon Dover — Buncombe County Election Services, 189 College St., Asheville
• Holly Jones — Jack of the Wood, 95 Patton Ave., Asheville
• Cecil Bothwell — Havana’s Restaurant, 1 Battery Park, Asheville
Commission candidates Carol Peterson, Keith Thomson and Ron McKee did not return phone queries about their election-night whereabouts, but check this space for updates on their plans.
Finally, while many Republicans may be found at Magnolia’s, local Democrats will be massing at Asheville Brewing Co. at 77 Coxe Ave.
— Hal L. Millard, staff writer