Slogan: More with Less
Funding: All donors are listed on report. Total raised: $20,000
Endorsements: Sierra Club
1. Do you favor A) creating a regional water authority, B) giving the existing system to the Metropolitan Sewerage District or C) leaving it under Asheville's control? Why?
Leave it under Asheville city management. Asheville adopted and properly funded a comprehensive master plan, invested $40 million in repairs and committed $6.5 million per year in maintenance since terminating the Water Agreement in 2005. These concrete efforts reversed my opinion favoring a regional authority when the agreement ended.
2. Do you support granting domestic-partner rights and/or benefits to Buncombe County employees? (Yes/No) Why?
Benefits should be considered as part of a competitive employee-benefit package, if we can afford them. Any decision on extending these benefits should be made on economic considerations. I oppose any form of discrimination, including sexual orientation. We have excellent employees who should be fairly compensated.
3. Do you favor offering tax breaks and other economic-development incentives to companies that agree to move here or expand existing facilities and hire local workers? (Yes/No) Why?
Yes. Incentives are necessary to attract job opportunities in new and/or expanding businesses. Most of our recent economic-recruiting successes would not have happened without competitive Buncombe County incentives and our active involvement in these negotiations.
4. Do you think the county should make funding the Connect Buncombe greenways a high priority? (Yes/No) Why?
Yes. Our recently adopted Master Plan compliments similar efforts by our six local municipalities. These sorts of initiatives are also good for our local economy. Greenways increase tourism, and businesses and industries are increasingly favoring locations that protect the environment and encourage sustainable activities.
5. What’s the most important role of county government in job creation?
We must support public schools and law enforcement, protect our environment, and maintain our quality of life to attract new jobs and expand industries. Most recent businesses relocating here indicated that quality of life for their employees was a decisive factor in their decision to relocate here.