Thursday, Oct. 28
• Local comedian Tom Chalmers hosts Smell My Fear… Give Me Something Good to Hear: Harrowing Halloween Stories at 35 Below (35 E. Walnut St., Asheville), 7:30 p.m. The event features stories by Bradshaw Call, Kim Mako, Waylon Wood and songs by Silas Durocher. $12. Hint: “Call the box office at 254-1320, mention the code ‘hobo costume’ and get 2 for 1.”
Saturday, Oct. 30
• Brushfire Stankgrass invites you to Stankoween 3 which sounds, by name alone, maybe not super inviting. But trust us: Brushfire’s unique take on bluegrass fusion couples with the libations at French Broad Brewery (where said Stankoween takes place) — and because it’s a happy hour show (5:30-8 p.m.) and free you can still work in more Halloween festivities.
• This is the 16th year for the free Public Samhain Witch Ritual, which takes place in the French Broad River Park (508 Riverview Dr., West Asheville) from 8-10 p.m.
According to a press release, “Attendees will be led by psychopomps (soul-guides) on a ‘boat ride’ along the ‘River Styx’ to the torch-lit circling field, where they will dance in an eerie light show set to haunting Witchy music. This year’s rite features the debut of the Mast Beast, a mythical ghost horse who grants fertility and abundance. After the traditional Spiral Dance finale, attendees can get free fortune-telling readings from expert seers.”
• The White Horse (105C Montreat Rd., Black Mountain) holds a Halloween party (check the invite here) which, according to organizers, will be “this years best Halloween party!” 8:30-11:30 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 31
• Carolina Ace Hardware, Holland Grill Company, RC Cola, WTZQ and Flat Rock Cinema have joined together to sponsor a fundraiser for the Hendersonville High School Band. The HHS Jazz Band plays a drop-in concert in Halloween costumes from 1-3 p.m. on the patio and parking lot at Flat Rock Cinema (2700 Greenville Hwy, Flat Rock).
According to a press release, “Tickets are on sale now at the Hendersonville High School office and will be available at the door for a minimum of $10 donation per ticket. Bring a lawn chair and enjoy this amazing band as they play your favorite hits. Wear your best Halloween costume if you want to – and bring the whole family!
“The Holland Grill Company will be there cooking FREE HOT DOGS and demonstrating their famous grills which are available at Carolina Ace Hardware. Watch them grill a whole turkey, a Boston butt and a pumpkin pie or two! RC Cola of Asheville will provide FREE SOFT DRINKS and Flat Rock Cinema is donating the space.
“The concert will be moved inside if necessary due to weather. Please support this award-winning band by helping with expense for their upcoming competitions. The band will be playing at Disney this school year and Los Angeles next year! Get your ticket today and remember to bring a lawn chair and wear your costume!”