For immediate release
GREENVILLE, SC, January 27, 2014 – American Red Cross of the Western Carolinas has placed its Incident Management Team and Shelter Operations Teams on alert to respond in the event of power outages and other ice and snow related disasters across the Western Carolinas Region.
Individuals are encouraged to BeRedCrossReady by taking the following precautionary measures:
- Minimize travel. If travel is necessary, keep a disaster supplies kit in your vehicle.
- Listen to a NOAA Weather Radio or other local news channels for critical information from the National Weather Service (NWS).
- Winterize your vehicle and keep the gas tank full. A full tank will keep the fuel line from freezing.
- Water—Keep at least a 3-day supply on hand; one gallon per person per day.
- Food—Keep at least a 3-day supply of nonperishable, easy-to-prepare food on hand.
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAAWeather Radio, if possible)
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Medications (7-day supply) and medical items (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, contact lenses, syringes, cane)