Profession: Owner and manager, Bed and Biscuit pet spa
Residence: Black Mountain
Funding: $5,000 total, as of April 23; three top donors ($500 each) are Don Collins, Joe Eckert, Tom Sobol.
Endorsements: Sierra Club
1. Do you favor A) creating a regional water authority, B) giving the existing system to the Metropolitan Sewerage District or C) leaving it under Asheville’s control? Why?
Our county faces major challenges. The city has been a good steward of our water system, and county residents are protected against rate increases by the Sullivan Act. I think our energies must be used to solve real problems instead of taking on another huge challenge that is simply unnecessary.
2. Do you support granting domestic-partner rights and/or benefits to Buncombe County employees? (Yes/No) Why?
Yes, I support granting domestic-partner rights and benefits in Buncombe County. It is the only fair and equitable thing to do.
3. Do you favor offering tax breaks and other economic-development incentives to companies that agree to move here or expand existing facilities and hire local workers? (Yes/No) Why?
Yes, I support incentives to companies to move here and also to existing businesses to support hiring more local employees. As a small-business owner, I know the challenges that I face and think this is a key component for enhancing our workforce.
4. Do you think the county should make funding the Connect Buncombe greenways a high priority? (Yes/No) Why?
Yes, I think that Buncombe County should do everything in its power to connect Buncombe greenways. This is an economic issue (attracts tourism and new business), an environmental issue and obviously a wellness issue.
5. What’s the most important role of county government in job creation?
County government must continue to make Buncombe a desirable place for companies to want to come to. We do this by funding schools so they can be the best they can be, continuing to protect our open spaces and completing greenways, and finally, offering incentives.