Each week the Brown Bag Songwriting Competition sets the stage for local songwriters to showcase their craft. The winner of each week’s contest walks away with a cash prize and the chance to come back on Sunday, Nov. 23 to compete in the finals. Want to be a part of the 11-week event? There are still four more Monday night Brown Bags leading up to the grand finale. Sign up here — registration is currently open for the Monday, Oct. 27 installment. It’s free to attend; performers each contribute $3 to the cash purse. Learn more about the contest here.
This week’s playlist features songs by performers at the first seven Brown Bag contests of this season.
• “Sailing Away,” by Daniel Shearin, recorded live at The Mothlight (week 1 winner)
• “Rail Road Woman,” by Matt Sellars, from This Side Of The Mississip (week 5 winner)
• “Love I’m Coming Home,” by Matt Townsend, from Matt Townsend and the Wonder of the World (week 4 winner)
• “The Good in That,” By Brittany Ann Tranbaugh, from her 2010 album of the same name (week 2 winner)
• “Northwest,” by Corey Parlamento aka Living Dog from the album Summer Homes (week 7 winner)
• “Coolest of Cool,” by Sven Hooson, from For A While (repeat runner-up)
• “Baltic,” by Utah Green, from Fortune (week 6 winner)