Press release from Pisgah Legal Services:
Area coffee shops and cafés will host the 7th Annual Java for Justice event on Friday morning, May 18, raising money and awareness for local nonprofit Pisgah Legal Services (PLS). Proceeds from the fundraiser will support Pisgah Legal’s work to provide free civil legal aid to help low-income Western North Carolinians by preventing homelessness, stopping domestic violence and child abuse, securing health care, and much more.
Asheville Radio Group and Paramount Kia of Asheville are returning as sponsors. Asheville Radio Group is now running public service announcements featuring people who have been helped by Pisgah Legal Services as well as volunteer attorneys.
Participating coffee shops in Western North Carolina include:
- City Bakery, 60 Biltmore Avenue and 88 Charlotte Street, Asheville
- Bruegger’s Bagels, 671 Merrimon Avenue and 160 Hendersonville Road, Asheville
- High Five Coffee, 13 Rankin Avenue and 190 Broadway Street, Asheville
- Jongo Java Coffeehouse, 117 S. Main Street, Hendersonville
- Main Street Coffee and Ice Cream, 185 N. Main St., Rutherfordton
- OWL Bakery, 295 Haywood Road, Asheville
- PennyCup Coffee Co, 39 S Market Street, Asheville
- Starbucks, 62 Charlotte Street, AshevilleTax-deductible gifts can be made at the coffee houses at the Pisgah Legal tables or online anytime at www.pisgahlegal.org.
Radio personalities from Asheville Radio Group stations the Mix 96.5 and 98.1 The River will broadcast live on Friday morning from High Five Coffee (on Broadway) and City Bakery (on Biltmore). At all locations, Pisgah Legal Services’ ambassadors will be on site to provide information and accept donations.
Since 1978, PLS has helped low-income people meet their basic needs, such as protection from domestic violence, avoiding homelessness, finding safe housing, accessing health care and increasing income. Pisgah Legal Services has 22 attorneys on staff, and relies heavily on the pro bono legal services of approximately 300 volunteer attorneys and the help of more than 100 office and navigator volunteers. Last year local people donated more than 13,000 in volunteer hours to Pisgah Legal Services. The nonprofit’s main service area includes six counties in WNC, with offices in Asheville, Brevard, Hendersonville, Marshall and Rutherfordton. For more information, call Pisgah Legal Services at 828-253-0406 or toll free at 800-489-6144 or go to www.pisgahlegal.org.