Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
Bottle and can releases
- On Saturday, April 14, Catawba Brewing Co. unveils a new series of limited release New England IPAs dubbed the Cloud Cover series, in four-packs of 16-ounce cans at all four of its tasting rooms. The first beer in the lineup, Rising Sun, is a 7.8 percent ABV hazy IPA brewed with flaked wheat and oats and hopped with El Dorado, Mosaic, Amarillo and Citra.
- Hi-Wire Brewing releases its Oude Brett Saison, a 6.6 percent ABV brettanomyces-fermented saison blended from a variety of red- and white-wine barrels, at its South Slope tasting room on Saturday, April 14. Oude Brett Saison will see limited distribution in early May.
- Wedge Brewing Co. debuts its 10th Anniversary Ale on Thursday, April 12, at Wedge Studios. This 11 percent ABV ale, designed by Wedge brewmaster Carl Melissas as an homage to several Wedge beer styles, was brewed with floor-malted heirloom Golden Promise malt and East Kent Golding hops and fermented with Chico, French farmhouse and brettanomyces yeast strains.
- On Thursday, April 12, Catawba taps a White IPA (4.8 percent ABV), brewed with flaked wheat, hopped with Simcoe, Azacca and Amarillo, fermented with Belgian wit ale yeast and finished with orange peel and coriander.
- **NEW** Archetype Brewing releases Devil’s Nest Mixed-Culture Barrel-Aged Belgian-style Tripel (10.2 percent ABV) on Saturday, April 14. Primary fermentation was with the brewery’s house Belgian yeast strain, then the batch underwent secondary fermentation in barrels for 6 months with Brettanomyces.
- Thirsty Monk hosts the April session of its Monk Beer Academy 7-8 p.m. Tuesday, April 10, at its Biltmore Park location. In celebration of North Carolina Beer Month, the April MBA will focus on North Carolina-brewed Belgian-style beers paired with bacon.
- Bruisin’ Ales hosts two free tastings this week. On Thursday, April 12, Nantahala Brewing Co. will be pouring Dirty Blonde, Midnight Topher, Strawberry Rhubarb, Trail Magic 13 and Judaculla. Then, on Friday, April 13, Oskar Blues and Cigar City Brewing Co. will offer samples of Tocobaga, Guyabera, Fugli and Barrel-aged Ten Fiddy. All tastings are free and run 5-7 p.m.