Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bottle and can releases
- On Saturday, April 15, from noon-5 p.m. Hi-Wire Brewing will release batches No. 9 and 11 of the Single Barrel Series from its South Slope brewery. The Single Barrel Series are all oak-fermented brett beers released in limited quantities. Batch No. 9 is an oak-fermented sour wheat ale with blueberries (8.2 percent ABV) that was aged in red-wine barrels for 16 months, the last four of which were spent on blueberries before being bottle-conditioned. Batch No. 11 is an oak-fermented sour rye ale with mangoes (4.7 percent ABV) that was fermented entirely in white-wine barrels for eight months before being bottle-conditioned for four months. The 750-milliliter bottles will be $18 each.
- Catawba Brewing Co. releases a Belgian IPA (6.5 percent ABV) on Thursday, April 13. This beer began as a classic West Coast-style IPA brewed with flaked wheat and a citrus-forward hops profile featuring Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe, then fermented with French saison yeast.
- On Thursday, April 13, Asheville Brewing Co. will release the second in its series of small-batch beers celebrating National Humor Month. Aloha Mr. Hand Pineapple Cream IPA will be released on draft at 5 p.m. leading up to a screening of Fast Times at Ridgemont High starting at 7 p.m. Aloha Mr. Hand. is a hops-fruity 6.2 percent ABV IPA conditioned on hand-cut chunks of pineapple with milk sugar and a coconut water infusion.
- Burial Beer Co. releases Butcherhook Porter on Thursday, April 13, at the brewery. This 5.5 percent ABV rustic porter is brewed with Maris Otter, spelt, pale chocolate, black barley and midnight wheat and hopped with Willamette, Northern Brewer, Mount Hood and Nugget.
- April’s session of Thirsty Monk’s Monk Beer Academy will take place on Tuesday, April 11, and will focus on the history and growth of the North Carolina craft beer industry. The class starts at 7 p.m., with reservations available here. Tasting flights cost between $12-$18.
- On Saturday, April 15, from 2-10 p.m., Catawba Brewing Co. will host a beach bash in collaboration with Buxton Hall Barbecue at its South Slope location. The party will include live music from DJ Dr. Filth, Ouroboros Boys, The Nude Party and Dave Desemilik alongside tiki-inspired food from chef Elliott Moss. The event is free and open to the public.
- Blue Ghost Brewing Co. celebrates Easter with its second Blue Ghost Brunch at the brewery in Fletcher on Sunday, April 16, starting at noon. Breakfast and lunch items will be available for purchase all day from Olive at the Ghost, as will Blue Ghost’s Mimosa Kolsch. Live music from Sarah Tucker will run from 1-3:30 p.m., and kids can take part in an Easter egg hunt as well as arts and crafts.
- Lookout Brewing will host this year’s Big Kid Easter Egg Hunt on Sunday, April 16, at the brewery in Black Mountain at 2 p.m. Prizes include free beer and gift certificates, and live music from the Hummingbird Band will start at 3 p.m.