Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
Bottle and can releases
- Catawba Brewing Co. releases Peanut Butter Jelly Time (5.7 percent ABV) in both its original Raspberry form and a new Strawberry-Rhubarb version on Friday, March 1, in all four of its tasting rooms and throughout its distribution footprint. The beers will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans.
- **NEW** Zebulon Artisan Ales releases Farmhouse Saison (for R.L. Burnside) (6.3 percent ABV) on Friday, March 1. The mixed field saison was brewed with raw oats and wheat and aged hops, fermented with Zebulon’s house saison blend, then aged in oak barrels for a full year with the brewery’s house Brett blend. Bottle conditioned, cork and caged 750 milliliter bottles cost $13 each with a limit of six per person. It will also be available on draft. Distribution to bottle shops begins next week.
- **NEW** Archetype Brewing Co. releases Eternal Fiction Barrel-Aged Blond (8 percent ABV), a Belgian-style blond ale aged in white wine barrels for 17 months, on Friday, March 1. 375 milliliter bottles cost $9 each.
- **NEW** Burial Beer Co. releases The Savages of Ruminating Minds IPA (7.2 percent ABV), double dry-hopped with copious Mosaic, Motueka and Idaho 7, in four-packs of 16-ounce cans, exclusively at its Asheville and Raleigh taprooms on Friday, March 1.
- **NEW** Bhramari Brewing Co. releases a pair of collaborations with Winston-Salem’s Wise Man Brewing on Saturday, March 2. Basa Basa (5 percent ABV), a rice lager brewed with butterfly pea flower and five varieties of rice, will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $12.99. Lone Revery (8.9 percent ABV), a Biere de Miel that was foeder-aged for 10 months, will be available in 750 milliliter bottles for $12.99. Both beers will also be available on draft, as well as be released at Wise Man and see very limited distribution.
Small-batch beers and ciders
- Zillicoah Beer Co. is currently pouring Galaxy IPA (7.5 percent ABV).
- **NEW**Catawba releases King Cake Pastry Stout on Thursday, Feb. 28, at all four of its tasting rooms. And in addition to the aforementioned two versions of Peanut Butter Jelly Time on tap Friday, March 1, Blackberry and Black Currant takes will also be available at the South Slope location.
- Highland Brewing Co. taps She’s a Rainbow (6.6 percent ABV), a saison brewed with Cabernet grapes, on Friday, March 1.
- **NEW** Turgua Brewing Co. taps a fresh batch of Yellowthroat Turmeric Peppercorn Ale on Friday, March 1. The beer is brewed with Southern Select 2 row, Heritage, Appalachian Wheat and Carolina Rye malts from Riverbend Malt House, hopped with Brewer’s Gold and Mosaic and features fresh local turmeric from Farmer Gregg Produce as well as cracked India Tellicherry Peppercorns.
- Ginger’s Revenge releases a Cinnamon Peach ginger beer on Sunday, March 3.
- **NEW** Over Burial‘s three-day, March 3-5 Mardi Gras celebration, the brewery will release four New Orleans-inspired beers. Options include a Bloody Mary Lager and three beverages available in regular and slushy form: Frozen Irish Coffee, in which two gallons per barrel of vanilla-bourbon cold press concentrate were added to the brewery’s latest imperial stout; Hand Grenade, involving Gang of Blades DIPA infused with watermelon, passionfruit, a grenadine-esque simple syrup and fresh-squeezed lime zest; and Absinthe Frappe, made the brewery’s our wormwood saison.
- Asheville Brewers Supply hosts its monthly Brewers Social on Tuesday, Feb. 26, 6-9 p.m. Attendees are invited to bring some of their latest labeled homebrew creations to share. Complimentary pizza from Asheville Pizza Co. will be provided.
- Tasty Beverage Co. features selections from Wilmington-based New Anthem Beer Project on Thursday, Feb. 28, 4:20-8 p.m. Then I Laughed (7 percent ABV) a wheat IPA double dry-hopped with Nelson and Mosaic; The Instant (8.7 percent ABV), a double oatmeal stout brewed with vanilla beans, Ethiopian Counter Culture Coffee and organic cocoa; and I Guess It Would Be Nice, an American pale ale double dry-hopped with Rakau and Mosaic, will be on tap.
- Highland hosts the Biere de Femme Festival on Saturday, March 2. Read Tony Kiss’ preview of the event here.
- **NEW** Asheville Brewers Supply hosts a participatory all-grain beer brewing class on Saturday, March 2, at 1:30 p.m., as well as a sampling of the beer created in last month’s class. Call 828-358-3536 to register for the free event.