Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bottle and can releases
- Wedge Brewing Co. celebrates its 10th anniversary on Wednesday, July 18, with the bottle release of 10th Anniversary Ale (10.9 percent ABV). The beer is described as “not quite an IPA, but close,” and is made with three yeast strains and and East Kent Golding hops.
- Green Man Brewery‘s Snozzberry (5.5 percent ABV) returns after a two-year hiatus on Saturday, July 21, at 11 a.m. The blonde wheat sour ale is aged in oak barrels and will be for sale in 750-milliliter bottles for $29 each. The brewery will also introduce Drink a Peach, a peach sour saison, also in 750-milliliter bottles for $21 each.
- On Saturday, July 21, Burial Beer Co. releases Prismatic Visions DIPA (8.5 percent ABV), double dry-hopped with Citra, Motueka and Centennial — and the brewery’s 10th collaboration with Other Half Brewing — in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $18. Also available that day is Portal to Transgression Porter with Cocoa and Vanilla (7 percent ABV), made with J Wakefield Brewing, in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $16.
- Hi-Wire Brewing releases Vintage Sour Ale (8.11 percent ABV) on Saturday, July 21, at noon at its Sour & Wild Ale facility. The beer sat in stainless tanks with London ale yeast for two weeks before resting in a red wine foeder on brett for 11 months. It will be available on draft and in 375-milliliter cork-and-cage bottles for $9 each. It will not see distribution.
- Catawba Brewing Co. debuts Drum Circle Haze DIPA (8.4 percent ABV) on Saturday, July 21, in four-packs of 16-ounce cans and on draft exclusively in its two Asheville tasting rooms and in the Asheville market.
Small-batch beers and ciders
- In addition to Prismatic Visions and Portal to Transgression, Burial has two new releases this week. The Oracle’s Possessor Saison Ale (5.2 percent ABV), a farmhouse ale spiced with juniper, sloe berries, lemon peel, bergamot peel and Tellicherry peppercorn, was tapped on Monday, July 16. It will be followed on Wednesday, July 18, by The Conception of Entropy English Mild Ale with Brettanomyces (3.6 percent ABV).
- On Wednesday, July 19, Catawba taps a West Coast DIPA at both of its Asheville taprooms.
- On Thursday, July 19, Sanctuary Brewing Co. releases Raspberry Fields Forever (4.8 percent ABV), a kettle-soured Berliner weisse brewed with fresh, local raspberries from Raspberry Fields WNC, and I’m In Your Mind Fuzz (6.2 percent ABV), a sour farmhouse ale made with a half-pound of South Carolina peaches per gallon and aged on French white wine barrels with brettanomyces.
- Hi-Wire taps Hoppy Belgian Golden (5.5 percent ABV), a low-fermented Belgian-style golden ale, dry-hopped with Azacca and Mosaic, on Friday, July 20, at both of its locations.
- Highland Brewing Co. releases Cowee Kölsch (4.7 percent ABV), hopped with Lemondrop, on Friday, July 20. For every pint sold, $1 will go to the Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation. Also to be tapped that day is Sitting Pretty (6.3 percent ABV), a sour IPA dry-hopped with El Dorado, Ekuanot and Mosaic.
- On Saturday, July 21, Bhramari Brewing Co. taps Whispering Eye, a hoppy farmhouse ale with butterfly pea flower, purple sticky rice and Australian Summer hops, and Counting Shadows, a hazy IPA with pineapple and elderflower and hopped with Azacca, Jarrylo and Pekko.
- Thirsty Monk celebrates Belgian National Day on Saturday, July 21, at both of its Asheville locations. Flights of Thirsty Monk Brewery‘s Belgian-style ales and selections from such Belgian brands as Delirium, Gouden Carolus, Duvel and Chimay will be on tap.