Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
Bottle and can releases
- Burial Beer Co. has a dual can release on Saturday, July 28. To Streak Blood Across My Brow DIPA (8.5 percent ABV), double dry-hopped with Galaxy, will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $18. Sanctuary of Shadows High Desert Dark Lager (5.3 percent ABV), an Ambient Terrain Series release in collaboration with TRVE Brewing Co. of Denver, Colo., and brewed with grains malted by the latter brewery’s nearby Troubadour Maltings, will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $14.
Small-batch beers and ciders
- In addition to Sanctuary of Shadows and To Streak Blood Across My Brow, Burial has two new releases this week. The Ballad of Chaos Baklava Imperial Brown Ale (8 percent ABV) began pouring Monday, July 23, and will be followed by Terrestrial Paradise 100 Percent Brettanomyces Pale Ale (5.6 percent ABV), hopped with Citra, Cashmere and Jarrylo, and naturally carbonated through conditioning with added pear juice, on Friday, July 27.
- **NEW** Wedge Brewing Co. is currently pouring a Hefeweizen (5.5 percent ABV) at its Wedge Studios brewery and Comet S.M.A.S.H. IPA (4.6 percent ABV) and Shamboise Raspberry Sour with Lactose (6 percent ABV) at the Wedge at Foundation location.
- Catawba Brewing Co. releases a Breakfast Stout (4.6 percent ABV), brewed with locally sourced cacao and coffee beans, at all four of its taprooms on Thursday, July 26.
- On Friday, July 27, Highland Brewing Co. taps Smothered, Covered and Dry Hopped (5.8 percent ABV), a New England-style pale ale hopped with Centennial, Cascade and Simcoe powder, and Un de Plus (5.5 percent ABV), a grisette brewed with sweet basil by Toby Lewis as part of the brew team’s Brewers Series.
- One World Brewing releases three beers on Friday, July 27, at both of its locations: Double Dry-Hopped Sour IPA (6 percent ABV); Let’s Berry the Hatchet Dessert IPA (6 percent ABV), brewed with lactose, vanilla, blackberries and blueberries; and Citra Bomb IPA (6.8 percent ABV), a DDH IPA made with all Citra hops.
- **NEW** On Friday, July 27, Eurisko Beer Co. taps Coffee/Vanilla Aged Tap-Shackled Imperial Stout. The beer is brewed with generous amounts of vanilla beans and PennyCup Coffee’s Yemen.
- **NEW** UpCountry Brewing Co. releases a Double IPA (7.7 percent ABV), double dry-hopped with El Dorado, Chinook and Mosaic, on Friday, July 27, at 5 p.m. The brewery is also currently pouring White Blossom Elderflower Saison (7.2 percent ABV), made with locally cultivated flora from Rayburn Farm.
- **NEW** As of Friday, July 27, Zillicoah Beer Co. is pouring East IPA (7.2 percent ABV), hopped with Chinook, El Dorado, Mosaic and Citra.
- Mills River Brewery brings back Grapefruit Pounding Mill IPA on Saturday, July 28. The West Coast-style IPA is hopped with Centennial and Simcoe and finished with grapefruit.
- On Saturday, July 28, Sanctuary Brewing Co. releases Sassy Britches ESB (4.6 percent ABV). Brewed in collaboration with Kendra Penland and Derek Allen of the band Melodic AF (which performs at the brewery that night at 8 p.m.), the beer is made with High Heat and Sassy Rye malts.
- Bruisin’ Ales hosts two free tastings this week. Selections from the British Isles portion of Merchant du Vin‘s portfolio will be poured on Thursday, July 26, 5-7 p.m., including offerings from Scotland’s Traquair House Brewery and Yorkshire’s oldest brewery, Samuel Smith Brewery. On Friday, July 27, 5-7 p.m., the focus shifts to Birds Fly South Ale Project and some of its newest offerings.
- Hi-Wire Brewing celebrates its fifth anniversary on Saturday, July 28, 3-10 p.m., at its Big Top facility. Admission is free and includes live music from Empire Strikes Brass, The Digs and Porch 40, access to ticketed rides, beer stations (among them a Sour & Wild Ale tent with 16 never-to-be-seen-again options), carnival-themed activities and food by Foothills Local Meats and Sunshine Sammies. Beer tokens are $5 each and may be purchased online or at the event. A limited number of VIP tickets are available for $55 and include unlimited samples from the Sour & Wild Ale tent, free food, five ride tickets, a private shaded area, a private bartender and collectible glassware.