Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bottle and can releases
- Sweeten Creek Brewing releases Summer Sun Belgian-style Wit, its first canned seasonal offering, on Friday, June 22, at 11:30 a.m. The beer is brewed with coriander seed, orange peel and ginger. It will be available in six-packs of 12-ounce cans and on tap.
Small-batch beers and ciders
- **NEW** On Wednesday, June 20, Wedge Brewing Co. taps Super Schwarzbier, a 5.9 percent ABV Black Lager at its Wedge Studios location. Cold Beer, a 5.5 percent ABV Cream Ale, is also back on tap at the Foundation location.
- Catawba Brewing Co. releases a Boysenberry Sour on Thursday, June 21, at its South Slope location.
- On Thursday, June 21, Noble Cider taps The Royal Peach (7.5 percent ABV). Made with local peaches fermented in the tank with the cider, it’s nonfiltered to retain full flavor, then dry-hopped with Citra and lightly sweetened.
- On Friday, June 22, Archetype Brewing taps Emotional Entanglement Guava Saison (8.2 percent ABV). Primary fermentation took place in stainless tanks with the brewery’s house saccharomyces, secondary fermentation with brettanomyces in oak wine barrels, followed by a return to stainless with guava and Azacca hops.
- The Whale celebrates its half-year anniversary on Thursday, June 21, 5-11 p.m. with selections from Jester King Brewery, J. Wakefield Brewing, Maine Beer Co., Barrelworks and Põhjala Brewery.
- Bruisin’ Ales‘ latest free tasting occurs Thursday, June 21, 5-7 p.m. with selections from Olde Hickory Brewery. A second free tasting takes place Friday, June 22, 5-7 p.m. featuring Trappist offerings from the Merchant du Vin importers’ catalog.
- **NEW** Blue Ghost Brewing Co. hosts the third Fletcher Firefly Festival on Saturday, June 23, 1-10 p.m. In addition to children’s activities and live music, the brewery will release three summer seasonals: Toasted Coconut Blonde Ale (5.1 percent ABV), Hefeweizen (5.5 percent ABV) and Tangerine Hefeweizen (5 percent ABV). To purchase beer, a $2 wristband must first be obtained at the ID check table by the brewhouse in the back of the building. Proceeds from wristband sales will be split evenly between the Fletcher Park Development Fund and funding the event. 10 percent of beer sales 1-6 p.m. will also be donated to the Fletcher Park Development Fund.
- The Asheville Pink Boots Society will hold its first official meeting on Sunday, June 24, 4-7 p.m. at Hi-Wire Brewing‘s Big Top facility. The gathering is open to all women working in the beer industry — including bartenders, brewers, managers, sales reps, bottle shop employees, quality assurance and quality control workers — who are welcome to attend and share thoughts on what events and meetings would be most beneficial from the APBS in the future.
- One World Brewing‘s new West Asheville location is open as of Wednesday, June 20. The original downtown brewery will remain in operation.
- **NEW** Whiteside Brewing Co. in Cashiers will serve its first house beers starting Thursday, June 21. 3484 Pale Blonde Ale (4.2 percent ABV), Orange Blossom IPA (9 percent ABV) and Wheatside Hefeweizen (4.5 percent ABV) are currently on tap.