Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
Bottle and can releases
- Burial Beer Co. hosts a special pre-Thanksgiving triple release on Wednesday, Nov. 22, at the brewery. The Ocean Swallows the Sun is a modern gose soured in oak barrels on house lactobacillus with hibiscus, rose hips and a blend of sea salts then bottle-conditioned in 12-ounce bottles. It’s available in four-packs. The Triumph of Death is the brewery’s annual sumac saison made with North Carolina barley, wheat and rye, fermented with house mixed culture and aged on North Carolina sumac. A blend of 60 percent steel-fermented saison and 40 percent foudre-aged saison bottle-conditioned in 750-milliliter bottles. Ulfberht Baltic Porter makes its debut in 16-ounce cans. It’s brewed with German and British malts, fermented on juniper berries and lagered using traditional methods.
- Highland Brewing Co. releases this year’s batch of Black Watch Double Chocolate Milk Stout at the brewery on Friday, Nov. 24. This 8 percent ABV imperial stout is brewed with with 1 pound per barrel of French Broad Chocolates cacao nibs, flaked oats and five malts. Black Watch will see distribution in the weeks to come.
- Catawba Brewing Co. releases two new canned specialty offerings on Friday, Nov. 24, at all Catawba locations with distribution to follow. LD’s Belgian Tripel (10.0 percent ABV) is a traditional Belgian-style tripel fermented with abbey ale yeast and Belgian candi sugar. It’s available on draft and in four-packs of 12-ounce cans. Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout (5.4 percent ABV) was brewed with chocolate malt and midnight wheat and conditioned on French Broad Chocolates cacao nibs, whole roasted North Carolina peanuts and Madagascar vanilla beans. It will be available on draft and in six-packs of 12-ounce cans.
- Wedge Brewing Co. is currently selling a variety of 32-ounce cans available for off-premise holiday consumption, including Community Porter, Julian Price Pilsner, Cold Beer, 13 Paces Baltic Porter, SaisonandBelgian Dubbel. Cans are available at the brewery’s Wedge Studios and Foundation locations.
- Burial will tap Bonedagger Pale Ale on Tuesday, Nov. 21. This 5.5 percent ABV pale is brewed with malted red wheat, flaked wheat and raw North Carolina-grown wheat with Citra hops and Simcoe Lupulin powder. Wednesday, Nov. 22, will see the draft release of Ulfbehrt, The Ocean Swallows the Sun and The Triumph of Death, with the brewery tapping new batches of Skullsaw Sweet Potato Porter and Hawkbill IPA on Friday, Nov. 24.
- UpCountry Brewing Co. releases a small-batch collaboration with Boston-based Harpoon Brewery. on Wednesday, Nov. 22, at the brewery in West Asheville 6-10 p.m. For every pour of the beer, $1 will go to 12 Baskets Cafe, a program of Asheville Poverty Initiative. Staff from 12 Baskets will be on hand with brochures and information about the nonprofit’s mission, and live music from local duo Cat and Crow will be featured. Catawba Brewing releases its small-batch Robust Porter on Wednesday, Nov. 22, at all Catawba locations. This 6.2 percent ABV porter was brewed with seven specialty grains, including rye.
- The latest batch of Silver Spike West Coast IPA is currently available on draft at Wedge Studios.
- Archetype Brewing Co. will host a free community potluck dinner on Thursday, Nov. 23, 4-8 p.m. at the brewery in West Asheville. The brewery will provide two turkeys and a ham, and guests are encouraged to bring sides or desserts. Dinner will be served at 5 p.m.