Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
Bottle and can releases
- Hi-Wire Brewing‘s Mountains to Sea Collaboration 12-pack of 12-ounce cans will see limited release throughout the brewery’s entire distribution footprint starting this week. The celebration of breweries from across North Carolina is composed of a Porter brewed with figs and molasses with New Anthem Beer Project; Throwback IPA, hopped with Idaho 7, Mosaic, Amarillo and Centennial, brewed with Wooden Robot Brewery; and a Rye Pilsner brewed with Trophy Brewing Co. and featuring ingredients from Riverbend Malt House & Epiphany Craft Malt. The beers will not be available on tap in Hi-Wire’s taprooms, but will see some draft distribution.
- **NEW** Zebulon Artisan Ales releases Cerize (for Syd Charisse) (7.3% ABV) on Friday, Oct. 18. The beer was made by taking half of the brewery’s Ameuze blend of select one-, two- and three-year-old barrel-aged sour beer, aging it for three months on sour cherries, fermenting it with 100% wild culture from the Asheville air and bottle conditioning with wine yeast. 500 milliliter bottles cost $20 each, limit four per person.
- Catawba Brewing Co. has a double can release on Saturday, Oct. 19. Lost Colony Hazy DIPA (8.5% ABV), the fifth release in Catawba’s Cloud Cover Series, is double dry-hopped with Cashmere, Citra and El Dorado. BA #7: Belgian Dark Strong Ale w/ Cherries (10.1% ABV), the seventh in a series of packaged barrel-aged beer releases from Catawba’s Barrel Program, is an Abbey-style Grand Cru that was aged for 12 months in Kentucky bourbon barrels and conditioned on Bing cherries. Both beers will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans and on draft.
Small-batch beers and ciders
- **NEW** Mad Co. Brew House is currently pouring Sweet Potato Munich Lager (5% ABV), made with fire-roasted sweet potatoes; Harvest Ale (5.1% ABV), brewed with spaghetti squash, acorn squash, butternut squash, cinnamon, vanilla bean, nutmeg, allspice and a touch of lactose; and Vienna Pale Ale (5.1% ABV), featuring whole-leaf Belma in the kettle and dry-hopped with Columbus and Amarillo.
- **NEW** Catawba releases White Grape Saison (5.6% ABV), brewed with Seyval Blanc grapes grown in Boone, on Thursday, Oct. 17, at all four of its taprooms. $1 per pint sold in all Catawba tasting rooms will be donated to the Jason William Hunt Foundation for Therapeutic Wilderness Awareness Month.
- UpCountry Brewing Co. taps Strange Brew Cream Ale (5.9% ABV) on Friday, Oct. 18, and Doughnut for a Snowman Donut Stout (10% ABV), made with six dozen Publix glazed donuts, on Saturday, Oct. 19.
- **NEW** Burial Beer Co. releases March Into Torture on Friday, Oct. 18. The dry-hopped pale ale is brewed in collaboration with the Asheville Symphony in celebration of the latter’s Masterworks Series concert “Fright Night” later that evening. The beer will be available exclusively on draft.