Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bottle and can releases
- **NEW** Fonta Flora Brewery released three new releases this week: Funk Fuzz Appalachian Wild Ale ($18 per bottle), made with two editions of local peaches; Carolina Custard Appalachian Wild Ale ($18 per bottle), brewed with Ohio-grown paw paw fruit; and Leftover Fuzz Mixed-Culture Saison ($14 per bottle), which incorporates second-use peaches initially used to create this year’s blend of Funk Fuzz. All three beers are also available on draft at the Morganton taproom.
- Oskar Blues Brewery welcomes Death By Coconut Irish Porter (6.5 percent ABV) with a release party Friday, Oct. 20, at 5 p.m. at the Tasty Weasel taproom in Brevard.
- Wicked Weed Brewing celebrates this year’s Dark Arts Rum Barrel-Aged Stout Fermented with Brettanomyces (15 percent ABV) with a party on Friday, Oct. 20, at 5 p.m. at the Funkatorium. The beer will be available on draft and in bottles at the black magic-themed event, which also features special barrel-aged beer tappings.
- Burial Beer Co. has three releases this week. Tuesday, Oct. 17, brings The Gods Among Us Estate Saison (5.5 percent ABV), made with nasturtium flowers and lemon verbena. The Keepers Veil Honey Saison (5.5 percent ABV), brewed with wildflower honey and Riverbend Malt House pilsner malt and wheat, returns Thursday, Oct. 19, and a new batch of Bolo Coconut Brown Ale (5.6 percent ABV), featuring a minimum of 7 pounds per barrel of raw coconut, hits the taps Friday, Oct. 20.
- Catawba Brewing Co. releases a Cantaloupe Farmhouse Ale (6.6 percent ABV) on Thursday, Oct. 19, exclusively in its four tasting rooms. The Belgian-style golden ale was conditioned on locally grown cantaloupes. Then on Friday, Oct. 20, a German Hefeweizen (4.9 percent ABV) will be available at all of the brewery’s locations.
- **NEW** Urban Orchard Cider Co. re-releases its cranberry Kalikimaka Cider in its tasting room on Friday, Oct. 20.
- **NEW** Appalachian Vintner hosts a free tasting of Italian craft beers on Friday, Oct. 20 at 5:30 p.m. Samples from one bottle each of Birrificio Del Ducato/Oxbow Brewing Oud Brunello, Birrifico Loverbeer Nebiulin-a Blend, Del Ducato Chrysopolis and Montegioco Garbagnina will be poured on a first come, first served basis. Attendees are encouraged to arrive early and stay for a pint.