Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
Bottle and can releases
- On Saturday, Sept. 8, at noon, Hi-Wire Brewing releases an extremely small amount of Hazy&Juicy&Hoppy&Fresh IPA in four-packs of 16 ounce cans and on draft at both its locations. Set hazy flights with all three versions of the beer, plus Lo-Pitch Juicy IPA, will be available for $12. Four-packs of this re-released version 1.0 will be $15 while supplies last and Hi-Wire plans to have the other two versions also available for purchase in the same size cans for the same price. The beer will not see distribution.
- Catawba Brewing Co. releases Barrel-aged Series #2: Wild Ale with Peaches on Saturday, Sept. 8, exclusively at its four tasting rooms. The farmhouse ale was fermented with Brettanomyces, aged for 30 months in second-use oak barrels previously filled with rye whiskey or wheated bourbon and conditioned on fresh Carolina peaches. It will be available in 500 milliliter bottles. The release was originally planned for Sept. 1, and to be part of a double release, but Catawba brewers have since determined BA Series #1 (Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale) has yet to reach its peak barrel-aged character and will spend more time in oak.
Small-batch beers and ciders
- On Tuesday, Sept. 4, Oskar Blues Brewery taps Did I Stutter? Tropical Milkshake IPA.
- Burial Beer Co. has two new releases this week. Archer at the Gates Patersbier (3.7 percent ABV),
an homage to Gildenbier, a classic style rarely seen outside of Belgian monasteries, arrives Wednesday, Sept. 5. It will be followed the next day by Waves Crash Upon Us Pale Ale with Brettanomyces (5.5 percent ABV), a tropically fruity pale hopped with Cashmere and Belma and fermented with a house blend of 100 percent Brettanomyces.
- Catawba releases its Märzen (4.6 percent ABV) on Thursday, Sept. 6 — the first of four consecutive German-style beers brewed for Catawba Oktoberfest.
- On Friday, Sept. 7, Highland Brewing Co. releases Liquid Gold, a brut IPA brewed with El Dorado and Amarillo hops and champagne yeast.
- Sweeten Creek Brewing taps “Scarlet Begonias” Belgian-style Amber Ale on Friday, Sept. 7, at 4 p.m. The beer is brewed with cherries and aged with bourbon oak chips.
- **NEW** Whiteside Brewing Co. releases Peachy Jake Pale Ale (5.5 percent ABV) on Friday, Sept. 7.
- Bruisin’ Ales has two free tastings this week. The Friday, Sept. 7, 5-7 p.m. session features the newest offerings from Botanist & Barrel Winery, located just north of Hillsborough, which specializes in dry fruit wines aged in various spirit and wine barrels. The follow day, 2-4 p.m., brings seasonal and specialty beers from Olde Hickory Brewery, including its Oktoberfest.
- Asheville Brewing Co. has a dual release party for i9PA — original and session versions — on Saturday, Sept. 8, at 4 p.m. at Salvage Station. The event’s schedule and additional information are available online.