- The Cabbage School, which describes itself as a “rigorous skill based fool school,” takes inspiration from the rural craft school tradition and educational communities such as Rural Studio and Black…According to Tyler Jackson, the album is not only conceptual in a lyrical sense, it explores his idea of “the other side” in a musical sense as well.The Asheville rockers play a benefit show for Everytown for Gun Safety on May 27 at Salvage Station.The Philadelphia dark-pop quartet plays Fleetwood's on May 25.“Asheville loves the weird stuff” says festival founder Madam Onca O'Leary. This ABSFest showcases nearly three dozen performers; headliners include magician and storyteller David London and sideshow performer Alex Doll…The showcase of works by visual artist Joseph Pearson and young writers of color takes place May 25 at the YMI Cultural Center.The "comedic love letter to all levels of pop-culture fandom” debuts May 24 at The Magnetic Theatre.The monthly summer concert benefit series kicks off May 27 with performances by Rock Academy NC's bands.Recorded in Nashville, The Rough & Tumble's first full-length album, We Made Ourselves a Home When We Didn't Know features nearly all new material. Indie label Rock Candy Recordings has…
- Rayburn Farm, located in Barnardsville, grows herbs, spices and a few select vegetables for local breweries.ASHEVILLE, NC“We always say, ‘It takes a village to run this place,’” says Amy Marshall, who owns the West Asheville venue with her partner, Tamy Kuper.Local water, barley, yeast and hops providers discuss their roles in keeping Asheville one of the nation’s top beer producers.One of AVL Beer Week's standout events moves to Wedge at Foundation for 2018.Although the North Carolina Craft Beverage Museum is still in its development stages, it will have a presence at this year’s AVL Beer Week. Organizers will highlight the effort at…Asheville restaurants and bars join the AVL Beer Week fun with special menu items, cocktails and more.Celebrate AVL Beer Week with release parties, fundraisers, dinners, competitions and more at breweries and other locations throughout the Asheville area.Blue Dream Curry House will host an anniversary party with special plates and collaborative brews. Also: Bold Rock Hard Cider hosts a Memorial Day barbecue; Green Sage announces a new…
- Asheville-area meditation instructors offer tips for starting a meditation practice, discuss common misconceptions about meditation and explore its health benefits.The monthly events, offered at various local locations, provide useful information on outdoor and indoor composting methods, including composting with earthworms.
- On Oct. 8, 1907, Asheville residents voted in favor of Prohibition.The success of the county’s and city’s goals to increase their use of renewable energy, say local experts, hinges on the availability of battery storage — and lots of it.…With the real estate market in Asheville becoming tighter and more expensive, homebuyers are increasingly looking outside the city, and oftentimes Buncombe County, to find a home that fits their…The Mountain Sports Festival returns to Asheville’s Carrier Park from Friday, May 25, to Sunday, May 27, for its 18th year.Amid calls for increased public access to policing data, Asheville City Council left the city's volunteer board dedicated to hearing residents' concerns about law enforcement in place for now. At…
- "Personally, I say 'No' to the militarization of our youth despite good intentions. We can do better than that with the ideals that reflect peace or at least make war…"To hear of people in our community with no criminal records cowering in fear of going to the grocery store is shocking.""Most amazing is Gatlinburg’s pioneering waste processing plant, which attracts observers from around the world and turns the idea of recycling on its head.""I can’t help but wonder why they would say no to the East Asheville development but approve a another development that mirrors it in so many ways ..."