- On Saturday, July 15 and Sunday, July 16, Appalachia Rising will headline Catalyst, an arts, education and music festival at Salvage Station. The band's original members, Leah Song and Chloe…"Contemporary poetry addresses every topic under the sun — some dark, some light, some sensual — from many unique and interesting voices," says poet Andrew K. Clark. "It is also…Prior to the novel’s release, Ballingrud was known within the literary community as a short story writer. His previous works, 2013’s award-winning North American Lake Monsters: Stories and 2019’s Wounds:…Central United Methodist Church of Asheville concert series kicks off with performance by three women musicians. Plus, Asheville poet explores mental health in new collection, Asheville Symphony relocates shows and…
- “We're trying to put Hispanic food out there,” Rodriguez says, noting the restaurant's focus on Puerto Rican and Cuban dishes. “I like street food. We try to portray that, and…Poppy Handcrafted Popcorn is growing to include a flagship store on the South Slope. Plus: Appalachian Mountain Brewery opens in Mills River; u-pick season starts at Jeter Mountain Farm; and…
- The Sweeten Creek facility, which is anticipated to open in August, brings 38 additional acute behavioral care beds to Western North Carolina.
- Xpress worked with Asheville-based data journalist Elliot Patterson to explore homestay permit data. The resulting analysis gives insights into how the market has changed over time, where homestays are located…Betting on sports will soon be legal in North Carolina. What will that mean for WNC?The Asheville City Board of Education voted 6-1 to enter into an annual contract for the fiscal year starting July 1 with Chartwells, a subsidiary of Compass Group USA, at…“The staff of Explore Asheville get paid way beyond what the city and county are paying. It sends a message, and it's not a message that's good,” said board member…A mixed-income housing project that’s been years in the making is now cleared for construction, following a unanimous June 27 vote by Asheville City Council. The conditional zoning approval will…
- "The power-hungry, self-serving draconian Republican legislators have not only neglected the will of the people, but they have placed an undue burden on women during some of the most vulnerable…"What Mr. Ready fails to grasp is the idea that Confederate monuments were intimidation tactics when they were constructed in the first place.""I believe that a simple, tasteful plaque acknowledging our city’s (and country’s) complicated past would have done wonders to heal wounds and begin to explain what 'diversity' truly means.""White supremacy wasn’t merely a footnote to Vance’s public career, after all, and he would have been the first to tell you so."