- Paul Heumiller, owner of Dream Guitars in Weaverville, will be the featured presenter at the Jan. 14 meeting.Set to launch in March, the organization’s three-room West Asheville co-working space will accommodate up to 12 writers at a time. Along with desk space, free Wi-Fi and limitless coffee,…As a young musician, Moctar was heavily influenced by Tuareg folk music, called “takamba,” but he also fell in love with the wild guitar mastery of Eddie Van Halen.Alison Chesley brings her experimental solo cello project to The Mothlight on Jan. 15.The mandolin master and his band play Isis on Jan. 13.
- Local brewery representatives discuss the various factors that have elevated the price of craft beer.Four young chefs who got their start in Asheville culinary programs have achieved early success on both the local and national level.Ciao Asheville: An Italian Cultural Forum launches on Wednesday, Jan. 16 at Metro Wines. Also: A Taste of Italy; Harvesting for the Community; Modernist Cuisine and more in this week's…
- The McDowell County project will offer cold storage facilities, a wash station and a commercial kitchen for area growers.
- BMCM+AC concludes its Jacob Lawrence exhibition with a trio of short documentaries, the Weaverville library screens an Australian western and more.
- On May 25, 1919, the Berry Municipal Band performed its first live set in Asheville. The ensemble played a series of free outdoor shows throughout the summer in an effort…Local nonprofit Just Economics increased its living wage rates for 2019. For those employees not offered employer-sponsored health insurance benefits, the new hourly rate is $13.65; for those offered health…Today, at least 17 faith communities in Buncombe County and Mars Hill are offering shelter and assistance to immigrants living here without legal papers, according to Melody Pajak of the…Major grants to Western North Carolina health care institutions and nonprofits offer promise of health benefits for vulnerable populations, while the Mountain Area Health Education Center reaches out to local…Sixteen Asheville-area startups will receive intensive personalized support from Venture Asheville as part of the entrepreneurship initiative’s Elevate program. Local business owners will be paired with successful company founders, executives…Former Buncombe County Manager Wanda Greene has reached a plea deal with federal prosecutors and a settlement with the county.
- "If we desire democratic rights for ourselves and our children, this is the very moment that we must shed our tendency of quiet civility and shout, collectively, loud enough that…"If [he] and [his] fellow North Carolina Republican politicians and President Trump ever get around to opening our federal government again, I hope [he] will consider doing something about the…"No one, and I mean no one, is asking whether or not HCA will continue to serve everyone who comes to them for care."