- Burnsville resident Katherine Savage feels a unique kinship with a small patch of ground on the campus of Warren Wilson College. The 5-foot by 60-foot plot was home this year…Cliff B. Worsham and Joey Metcalf discuss bringing their long-held goal of a collaborative album to fruition."I believe I’m talented and gifted but because of my messages, a lot of times people will disregard it,” says hip-hop musician Kia Rice. “It’s evident that there aren’t a…
- The downtown cocktail lounge has reinvented itself as a coffee shop.From homemade marshmallows to batch cocktails, Asheville-area chefs and beverage experts share inspiration for gifts from the home kitchen.
- The COVID-19 pandemic forces local organizations that serve individuals experiencing homelessness to develop new strategies for the coldest winter nights. The Campaign for Southern Equality reports on health care access…Local farmers markets get set for a seasonal break or shift to winter hours.
- This week's Archives examines a pair of paranormal encounters described by local residents in the 1910s.As congregations across the region grapple with shifting demographics and a year of racial upheaval, multiracial congregations find themselves tackling tough conversations in the way they know best: Worship and…Marshall's wind phone offers a unique conduit for connecting with those who have died or are absent.If the Buncombe County Board of Commissioners were to maintain the property tax rate at 52.9 cents per $100 of assessed value for fiscal year 2021-22, noted Buncombe budget analyst…The Asheville Police Department has followed through with a number of promises Chief David Zack made in June. But the one demand residents and activists repeatedly called for — that…
- "Apparently a decision had already been made without the concern of residents being heard. Is that how a democracy works?""Why do we raise our children in a world system that focuses on achievement and celebrates economic wealth rather than kindness, truth, goodness and the common good?""People may like the 800 jobs promised by the Pratt & Whitney deal and so don’t care that it was transacted so discreetly, but now that this precedent has been…