- The event began unofficially over a decade ago, during Marshall’s French Broad Friday, when a few enthusiastic participants dressed up like mermaids for the festivities. They were a hit.The musical renaissance man discusses the perks of living in Atlanta, working with Pharrell and Kendrick Lamar and his 30-year friendship with Big Boi.Director Aaron Snook began to search for a time in American history with a similar feel and discovered plenty of parallels in the Reconstruction era — specifically, the legendary Appalachian…The Brooklyn-based abstract turntablist, sound artist and DJ presents a solo turntable performance and workshop June 5 at Black Mountain College Museum + Arts Center.“Subtle aspects of your personality are brought out by different locations,” David Wilcox says. “For me, there’s something about this land: the friendliness of these mountains. There is something about…SART's summer season is a full slate of diverse shows, kicking off with the raucous comedy 'Don't Dress For Dinner' (May 31 - June 17).The exhibition of Asheville-based contemporary artists runs June 1-30 at The Satellite Gallery.The Center for Craft’s summer-long Craft City series kicks off June 1 with a mini-macramé plant hanger workshop.The Nashville singer-songwriter plays solo acoustic versions of songs from his latest album on June 1 at The Grey Eagle.The exhibition and sale of revisioned vintage postcards by Terry Taylor benefits the Friends of the North Carolina Room projects and will be held June 1-2 at 305 Hillside St.
- Plenty of breweries within an hour's drive of Asheville are worth the trip.June is high season in Asheville for local berries, including some that can be harvested in the city's public spaces.The Asheville VeganFest returns with three-days of festivities. Also: MANNA FoodBank hosts its 19th annual Blue Jean Ball, Mini-VegFest debuts, The Black Jar Honey Tasting returns and The Southern Kitchen…
- The controversial topic of sex education in the public schools is drawing fire from some quarters but finding support from the majority of parents and health educators.From attracting pollinators to native landscaping, upcoming classes at the Henderson County Cooperative Extension Center will provide useful information for gardeners new to the mountains.
- Asheville Pizza & Brewing Co. celebrates Prince's birthday with two screenings of "Purple Rain," deadlines loom for the inaugural Micropolitan Film Festival and more.
- On Oct. 21, 1886, downtown Asheville was aglow.On Saturday, June 2, local nature lovers seeking the thrill of discovery can take part in the Blackrock BioBlitz, a citizen science program that will pair residents with more than…East End/Valley Street Neighborhood Association President Renee' White has been named the second recipient of the city of Asheville's Volunteer of the Year award. White received the recognition during the…The Asheville City Council will make one of its most consequential decisions when it hires its next city manager, a powerful administrator with broad authority for most aspects of city…Local legislators and environmental advocates share their thoughts on which state budgetary and policy decisions could have a big impact on WNC’s environment in the coming fiscal year and beyond.…By the end of a six-hour session, Council had approved multiple items showing an unprecedented level of urgency for policing reform. Multiple split votes, however, showed the concern of some…
- ASHEVILLE, NC"Now, people like Cox, by her writings and lectures, have incited individuals to do such things as to deface the plaque to Gen. Robert E. Lee at the Vance Monument.""A letter in the May 2 edition credited the present district attorney with hiring the first black assistant DA. This is not accurate."