- New and experienced Black entrepreneurs discuss their arduous paths to success.Over the last two years, writer Wayne Caldwell has written poems based on imaginary conversations with his fictional character Posey Green. His forthcoming poetry collection, Woodsmoke, comes out Tuesday, Feb.…Want to dance? The Wortham Center for the Performing Arts is hosting a virtual ballet workshop. Want to act? Montford Park Players is currently seeking actors for the 2021 season.…
- This past December, Big Pillow Brewing hosted its soft opening, making it the third craft brewery in Madison County, joining the Mad Co. Brew House in Marshal and the Hickory…Handmade skirts highlighting locally grown foods, a new homegrown delivery service from Nani's Rotisserie Chicken, a class on country winemaking, local nonprofit news and more.
- The pelvic floor muscles keep the bladder, rectum, uterus and prostate in place, and when they’re not healthy, it can lead to a range of issues. Further complicating matters, embarrassment…
- The free virtual program will share strategies for working with elected leaders to create and implement sustainable policy changes; a panel discussion will focus on effective ways to address inequity…Victoria “Vic” Isley, the new president and CEO of the Explore Asheville Convention and Visitors Bureau, says new paid advertising for Asheville, an expansion of the Buncombe County Tourism Development…The yearlong campaign begins April 1 and seeks to outfit at least 100 residents and businesses with solar energy systems by the end of 2021.Daniel Withrow, president of the Asheville City Association of Educators, says that his organization had been preparing to make its first-ever endorsements for Asheville City Board of Education seats this…After months of discussion, two Council work sessions and multiple opportunities for public engagement, frustrated residents told Asheville City Council the final hotel proposals did little to advance equity or…
- "The uh-oh moment came when the appointed commission, conspicuously lacking local architects or representatives from historic preservation, came back with an 11-1 suggestion of removal."“We must ask ourselves, ‘What are we sowing in our community and in our world for generations to come?’ Will we build our economy on poison?""Please reach out to those who control the taxes and our future direction with your complaints. We do have a voice, so please use it.""We should appreciate the risks they are taking and show that appreciation by giving them an extra dollar over the order or at least telling them to keep the change.""The Asheville City Council and Buncombe County Board of Commissioners have a unique opportunity to be leaders on the issue of LGBTQ nondiscrimination protections.""So, the paradoxical situation is that we pay taxes to allow destruction of humans’ property, means of surviving and dignity, while we voluntarily pay to improve those circumstances.""All land served by sewer lines is desperately needed for housing, both to end homelessness and to save fuel by reducing commuting distances."