- Although the EP “Are We Not Monsters” is the latest output from the prolific local artist Margaret Killjoy, it's just one of many creative ventures the musician, writer and activist…Two local productions — Different Strokes' "...while Black" show and NC Stage's latest collaboration with Mike Wiley — mark their companies' most ambitious digital performances thus far.
- Though Slow Food Asheville's original plans for Aunt Hettie's Red went awry due to the pandemic, local farmers and chefs have still managed to experiment with the heritage okra variety.While the community's need continues to grow, the nonprofit's pool of volunteers has declined.Cookbook author Ashley English describes chow chow as a "democratic" condiment. "There are so many permutations and iterations, you can customize it the way you want.”
- Board member Rick Livingston, who made the motion to deny the recommendation, said the proposed SE Asphalt plant's location in a “very residential area” off the Spartanburg Highway was incompatible…
- Virtual schooling is a constant challenge for children with disabilities. School-based resources like speech and physical therapy are hard to deliver remotely — and federal limitations to Medicaid have kept…Human trafficking takes many forms. According to a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services fact sheet, it can include not only sex for money involving coercion or fraud but…For more than 35 years, George Gibson has volunteered to help maintain the South Asheville Cemetery. In appreciation of his dedication, community members recently named a creek in his honor.The race to represent Western North Carolina in Congress got a lot more real on Sept. 4 and 5, when Republican Madison Cawthorn and Democrat Moe Davis met for the…Kathy Ziprik, an elder at Mills River Presbyterian Church, receives daily prayers in her email inbox as part of the congregation’s ongoing prayer fence project.After a unanimous Board of Commissioners vote on Sept. 1 to adopt a new Schedule of Values — the regulations used by Buncombe tax assessors to determine how much all…
- "She advocates for environmental stewardship, equity and inclusion, public education and rural broadband.""Without a direct and unflinching acknowledgment of the climate crisis, we cannot ensure the future of North Carolina agriculture.""Asheville and Buncombe County are in danger of losing a significant amount of financial support from the federal government by residents not completing and returning their census information by Sept.…"Peace in Asheville has never been more important than in the year 2020.""We urge Asheville City Council not to defund the police but make changes needed to rid police of the 'bad apples' after due process, and to properly train officers going…"The nurses voting at Mission Hospital should know there is likely no going back if NNU wins this election.""What kind of community hospital do you want?"