- One of the challenges in writing about trauma, says Asheville-based author Rachel M. Hanson, is that sometimes trauma is used as a narrative hook or way to build suspense. Her…The Black Mountain-based multi-instrumentalist and composer looks back at his storied musical life.Local creatives find various means to afford staying in Asheville — but is it worth the effort?'Valenween' benefit merges Valentine's and Halloween to fight period poverty. Plus: Valentine's Day card drive for senior citizens, Black History legacy month events and more!
- The Market Place places in James Beard Award Semifinals. Plus: Mardi Gras masquerade comes to Eulogy, Good Hot Fish opens on the South Slope, and more!
- D. Tyrell McGirt, director of Asheville Parks & Recreation, discusses opportunities for staying healthy in 2024.The expansion of mobile health units throughout Buncombe County is bringing health care where it is needed most — right to them, with minimal barriers.The Buncombe County Veterans Treatment Court debuted “Voices of Recovery,” a podcast hosted by program director, licensed clinical social worker and Marine Corps veteran Kevin Rumley. The podcast addresses mental…The Warrior Wellness Center, which opened in fall of 2022, is one of 34 school-based health centers — or SBHCs — operated by Blue Ridge Health around Western North Carolina,…Without high-speed internet, a capable device and digital literacy, the chronically ill can struggle to manage their health in this telemedical world.
- Health issues may have led E.W. Grove to Asheville, but the entrepreneur had no interest in perpetuating the city's reputation as a landing spot for those seeking medical relief.Throughout Western North Carolina, local governments, senior centers and recreation leagues are creating opportunities for the area’s aging population to exercise, make social connections, compete and keep their minds sharp.…Embarking on a journey toward a healthier lifestyle can be a daunting task for some, especially in a world overwhelmed with ever-changing diet fads and gym regimes. The fitness landscape…Medication-assisted treatment. Training on how to administer Narcan. Education and stigma reduction. These are just a few of the initiatives funded by Buncombe County’s opioid settlement money to address the…“Chinese medicine is a lifelong learning process," says Mary Cissy Majebé , co-founder of Daoist Traditions College of Chinese Medical Arts. The school is currently celebrating its 20-year anniversary."It’s important for readers to know there are free resources across the state to understand their options and support them in going through the enrollment process," says Jaclyn Kiger, Pisgah…As former Equity and Inclusion Director Brenda Mills reflects on her career as she begins retirement, two accomplishments stand out. One is the positive reception city employees gave a plan…Baileigh Sinaman-Daniel was born without a right arm. But that hasn't stopped her from earning a spot on Warren Wilson's women's basketball team.Inspired by a September letter from downtown businesses, which spurred numerous meetings between business owners and county leaders, Sheriff Quentin Miller deputized Chief Deputy Herbert Blake to put together a…Two projects requiring special use permits and one zoning variance are on the agenda at the Buncombe County Board of Adjustment meeting at noon Wednesday, Feb. 14. The in-person meeting…More than 400 community leaders and entrepreneurs gathered on Jan. 31 at the Embassy Suites by Hilton for Explore Asheville’s annual partner event, “The Year Ahead.” Led by BCTDA President…More than 30 residents who live on the west side of Woodfin showed up to send a message to Town Council on Feb. 1: “Let us go.”According to Bill Sederburg, a Buncombe County resident and member of the WNC Broadband Project community advocacy group, one of the most consequential policies that shaped broadband rollout in the…
- "Those who choose to wear a mask should be free to do so. To insinuate that those who choose not to don’t care about themselves or their community is unscientific…"In fact, much of the ire now being aimed at the TDA — and tourism in general — merely echoes concerns about the tourism of a century ago, and the…"By removing financial barriers and ensuring that every child has access to nutritious meals within the educational system, we affirm our commitment to nurturing the physical and spiritual well-being of…"This was not a neighborly 'beep, beep' to hurry us along, but an angry and unnecessary wailing of the horn.""All of the above shows me there’s plenty of crime going on in Asheville, and in certain crime criteria, it’s escalating.""Asheville lost one of its greatest when Connie Bostic died last month. Connie was a creator, and Asheville was her beneficiary."