- Xpress speaks with local poet Lee Stockdale about his past trauma, his early exposure to poetry and his passion for introducing others to the form. Along with the conversation is his…A pop-up exhibit of work by a legendary TV animator comes to Asheville. Plus, Sew Co. hosts a makers market in the RAD, a photographer spotlights the Blue Ridge Parkway…“Bobby [McMillon] had a completely disarming personality,” says Leila Weinstein, program coordinator at The Liston B. Ramsey Center for Appalachian Studies at Mars Hill University. “He was very soft-spoken, but…
- Whether you’ve lived in Asheville your entire life or just moved here, chances are you’re familiar with Highland Brewing Co.’s seasonal Cold Mountain Winter Ale. “We have some die-hard Cold…
- Researchers found mothers reported increased anxiety about the uncertainty of travel, distant pregnancy care providers not being easily accessible and insufficient coordination among care providers.
- After a reduction in the number of incidents reported to the Asheville Police Department in 2021, local shoplifting numbers are rising again.After the Buncombe County Planning Board voted not to recommend a plan for mountaintop development on 176 acres in Pinners Cove, developer KLP Pinners EAT, LLC resubmitted an application for…Jacob Oakes, who directs Pisgah Legal Services’ immigration program and manages its Afghan Asylum Project, calls the latest influx of evacuees an “unprecedented situation” and a “learning experience” due to…The initiative will make 150 spaces in the county’s Coxe Avenue garage available to low-income downtown employees at $40 per month — less than half the current $85 monthly rate…
- "Schools will not change until we develop a revolutionary, nonviolent transformation of our cultural values. In other words, education is not a single, standalone issue.""Our courts and not local politicians need to make the decisions as to whether submitted district voting maps are fair.""Indigenous heritage is not just important for its cultural value: It offers solutions to some of the biggest problems we face as a society today.""Take what’s left of the money to stop this endeavor now and use the funds to repaint the lines on Merrimon to their former, workable configuration.""Veterans for Peace Western North Carolina will again this year assemble in remembrance and reclamation of the origins of Armistice Day."