- David Weintraub discusses his latest film — the 50th produced by the Center for Cultural Preservation.On Sept. 1, local poet Jessica Jacobs launched the nonprofit Yetzirah, the first literary organization in the U.S. for Jewish poets. Now, she is preparing to bring poets from around the…A week of events to celebrate Juneteenth. Plus, a new rom-doc's premiere episode set in Asheville; and a Blue Ridge Heritage festival.
- “Ninja Spirits will focus on traditional spirits, with our first release being a wheat-based vodka," says Allison Brown-Rangel, co-owner of Asheville Brewing Co. and public relations representative for the new…
- "When I am on a bike, I feel free. I feel fast. I feel strong."
- Area educators discuss what they do when students are on break and the importance of regular time away from the classroom.The majority of the June 2 CIBO meeting focused on plans for the Sweeten Creek Mental Health and Wellness Center, a 120-bed hospital that will provide behavioral health services.The 342-acre tract atop Deaverview Mountain, just five miles from downtown Asheville, was purchased by an anonymous conservationist in March with the intention of selling the land to the Southern…Four firefighters compose the team — two primarily reaching out to people who may be unhoused or experiencing a behavioral health issue, and two primarily meeting with downtown business owners…Lee joined BPR as interim news director in January after previously stints at Carolina Public Press and as a writer and education publication Edutopia.The red-clad advocates filled the commission chambers and two overflow rooms, with about 25 speaking during the county’s budget hearing. They said the 10.3% increase for both Asheville City Schools…
- "More industries manufacturing weapons parts and destroying hundreds of acres of pristine forests and the living webs within them is the opposite of what our community needs to truly thrive.""And yes, there often are multiple causes of war, but that means the influence of defense contractors can’t be discounted, either.""Get real — quirky doesn’t work. Picking up the garbage does.""We still have time to change things, but it will take a focus on building on what we have, not tearing down the old for the new."