The following activities and attractions — including workshops and live music — complement the festival’s competitive events, making for a family-style weekend of not-to-be-missed educational opportunities and great entertainment. For more information, visit www.mountainsportsfestival.com.
Workshops and clinics
For more information on dates, times and locations for workshops and clinics, see Schedule of Events.
• North Carolina Outward Bound School’s “Leave No Trace” workshops (including: mountain biking, backpacking/camping, paddling and climbing.
• Meet the Kenyans: Talk shop with the world’s top athletes
• Youth Yoga Clinic
• Trail Running Shoe Clinic
• Running with your Dog
• Dog Packing
• Proper Dog Backcountry Ethics
• Backpack-fitting at the Mast General Store booth
• Rafting, biking, hiking and climbing: Explore Asheville Outdoors offers daily trips for the general public (all skill levels). Visit www.discoverashevilleoutdoors.com for details.
The Mountain Sports Festival Kids and Family Corner includes balloon-making, demos by the Asheville Police and Fire Departments, and a Youth Adventure Challenge.
• The Keith King Bike Stunt Show: Music and a live DJ accompany gravity-defying stunts and expert techniques (Saturday, June 1 at 12 p.m., 2:30 p.m. and 5 p.m., at Festival Center in City/County Plaza.
• Films: A Race for the Soul, a chronicle of the grueling Western States 100 ultramarathon (Friday, May 31, 9 p.m., Asheville Pizza & Brewing Co., 675 Merrimon Ave.); Riversense, a four-part documentary featuring classic figures in paddling history (Saturday, June 1, 9 p.m., Asheville Pizza & Brewing Co.).
• Kurt Smith’s “Kickin’ Access Slide Show, Raffle, & DJ Party”: Tall tales from high peaks, followed by raffle, music and dancing (Saturday, June 1,Asheville Pizza & Brewing Co., 7:30 p.m.).
• Live music: Enjoy favorite local acts at the Festival Center all weekend long, including Scrappy Hamilton (ragtime/boogie), Sons of Ralph (alt-country/bluegrass), Southern Lights (jam rock), the Laura Blackley Band (folk rock).
Ongoing attractions at Festival Center
• Climbing tower
• Bike demos from Blue Ridge Bike Dealers
• Kayak Practice Roll Tank
• Rafters in the Fountain
• Running treadmill (with digital camera to evaluate gait)
• Chiropractic testing
• Yoga workshops
• Guest speakers
• Youth Adventure Challenges
• Food and product vendors