The Give!Local campaign nonprofits received nearly $10,000 in donations on the December 1 Big Give Day! Thanks to all those who have donated so far – your incentives will be arriving in January.
There will be one more Big Give Day on Tuesday, Dec. 15, so if you wish to donate and be entered to win some great prizes, it is a great day to give. Incentive prizes include: a $500 shopping spree at Ski Country Sports, a weeks tuition a the John C. Campbell Folk School, a three-month membership at Beer City CrossFit, and more.
The Give!Local campaign provides a fun, fast and easy way to give online from $10 to the $1,000’s. Donors can give to as many of the 30 participating nonprofits as they like and pay with one easy credit card transaction. Plus, there are incentives to encourage donations from new givers, people who don’t get tax breaks, and a whole new generation of givers — children!
Children 12 or under who give at least $5 (with their parents permission of course) get a kiddie scoop from The Hop and are entered to win one of some special kid-oriented prizes like a kids bike from Motion Makers, horse riding lessons from the Equinox Horse Foundation, or a six-month Book-of-the-Month membership from Spellbound Children’s Books.
Want to find out more? Visit givelocalguide.org
Asheville Humane Society
14 Forever Friend Lane, 761-2001, ashevillehumane.org
• TU (12/15), 6pm – Volunteer orientation and tour. For ages 10 and up. Registration required. Free.
Charlie’s Angels Animal Rescue
• SA (12/12), 10am-noon – Animal adoption event. Free to attend. Held at BMW of Asheville, 649 Airport Road, Fletcher
100 Frederick Law Olmsted Way, 665-2492, ncarboretum.org
• Through SA (1/3) – The Robot Zoo, exhibit featuring giant-size robots and interactive displays to teach biomechanics of animals. Parking fees apply.
• Through (1/3) – Fine-feathered Friends and Flowers, oil paintings by Mary Webster. Parking fees apply.
The Center for Craft, Creativity & Design
67 Broadway, 785-1357, craftcreativitydesign.org
• Through SA (1/9) – Made in WNC, textile, furniture, ceramics, and art exhibit exploring how craft, design, and production relate.
• Through SA (1/9) – Tom Shields sculptural arrangements from found furniture.
Asheville Music School
252-6244, ashevillemusicschool.org, email@example.com
• SA (12/12), 11am-7pm – 10% of sales at Twisted Laurel benefit the Asheville Music School. Held at Twisted Laurel, 130 College St.
• SU (12/13), 11am-7pm – 10% of sales from Korean House benefit the Asheville Music School. Held at Korean House, 122 College St.
Homeward Bound of WNC
• WE (12/9) through TU (12/15) – Parking proceeds from the Omni Grove Park Inn Gingerbread Competition benefit Homeward Bound of WNC. $10 parking 0-3 hours/$15 all day. Held at The Omni Grove Park Inn, 290 Macon Ave.
Julyan Davis Studio
2004 Riverside Drive, julyandavis.com
• FR (12/11), 5-8pm & SA (12/12), 10-4pm – 100% of proceeds from painting sales at this studio open house benefit Helpmate. Traditional ballads by Greg and Lucretia Speas. Free to attend.
N.C. Arboretum Winter Lights
• Through SA (1/2), 6-10pm – Proceeds from this walking tour of the holiday animated light display benefit N.C. Arboretum programs, exhibits, and facilities year-round. $18/$16 children. Held at N.C. Arboretum, 100 Frederick Law Olmsted Way
Your Voice, Your Future Town Hall Meeting
• TH (12/17), 7:30pm – Panel discussion regarding domestic and sexual violence in WNC. Panelists include representatives from Helpmate, Mainstay and the District Attorney’s office. Free. Held at WNC Agricultural Center, 1301 Fanning Bridge Road
• 2nd SATURDAYS, 9am-1pm – Urban Forest Workdays: Richmond Hill Park invasive plant removal work days. Held at Richmond Hill Park, 280 Richmond Hill Drive
• SA (12/12) & SU (12/16), 10am-4pm – Paddle-n-Plant along local riverbanks to prevent erosion with French Broad Riverkeeper. Registration required. Free.
FOOD & BEER
The Lord’s Acre
• THURSDAYS, 11:30am – The Fairview Welcome Table provides a community lunch. Free. Held at Fairview Christian Fellowship, 596 Old Us Highway 74, Fairview
• SA (12/12), 10am-2:30pm – “Hemlock Education Hike,” easy to moderate 4-mile hike in Montreat to learn about Hemlock health and ecosystems. Registration required. Free.
44 Merrimon Ave. Suite 1, 28801, 252-0562, ourvoicenc.org
• Ongoing drop-in group for female identified survivors of sexual violence.
Montford Park Players
• TH (12/10), 7:30pm – A Christmas Carol. “Pay what we are worth night.” Admission by donation. Held at Asheville Masonic Temple, 80 Broadway
• FRIDAYS through SUNDAYS (12/11) until (12/20) – A Christmas Carol. Fri. & Sat.: 7:30pm. Sun.: 2:30pm. $10. Held at Asheville Masonic Temple, 80 Broadway
The Magnetic Theatre
375 Depot St., 279-4155, themagnetictheatre.org
• THURSDAYS through SATURDAYS (12/3) through (12/19) – The 42nd Annual Bernstein Family Christmas Spectacular! Thu.-Sat.: 7:30pm. Sat.: 10pm. $18-$23.
• WE (12/16), 7:30pm – The 42nd Annual Bernstein Family Christmas Spectacular! $18-$23.
Care Partners Foundation
• Through TH (12/24) – Volunteers needed for gift wrap station at Asheville Outlets. Registration required.
Helios Warriors, Inc.
299-0776, helioswarriors.org, firstname.lastname@example.org
• FR (12/11) – Volunteers needed. Contact for more information.
Homeward Bound WNC
218 Patton Ave., 258-1695, homewardboundwnc.org
• 3rd THURSDAYS, 11am – “Welcome Home Tour,” tours of Asheville organizations that serve the homeless population. Registration required. Free to attend.
100 Frederick Law Olmsted Way, 665-2492, ncarboretum.org
• Through SA (1/2) – Hundreds of volunteers needed for the Winter Lights exhibit FR until SA (1/2) from 5:30-10pm nightly. Register online: ncwinterlights.org