Over the past several years, it has become apparent to me that this nation’s people-centered, democratic republic has become eroded to the point of no longer functioning as “of and for” the people. I am sure you will agree that the fundamental and foundational rights of people have been usurped by special interests, corporations and those who have enough money to make their “speech” heard over the rest.
In North Carolina, there is a coalition of individuals, community groups and organizations working to correct this imbalance.
This coalition is working with the state Legislature to get a ballot measure on the 2018 ballot that would ask the people of this state what they think:
1. Should artificial entities such as corporations have constitutional rights of personhood?
2. Should money be considered speech and be protected as speech under the First Amendment?
Here is how you can get involved:
1. Sign the petition (www.ncwethepeople.org).
2. Send persuasive emails to your legislators.
3. Attend press conferences.
4. Recruit a favorite nonprofit organization to become a co-sponsor with the current 18 sponsoring groups in our coalition.
— Diana Kruk