A friend visiting from Asheville brought me the April 17 Mountain Xpress “Sustainability” issue. I looked it over, marveling at all the wonderful events and involvements that are going on in North Carolina. But something was bothering me about the issue, and I couldn’t figure it out until I realized it was the cover picture.
Once again, someone was using the compact fluorescent bulb as a good thing. In this case, it was created into a superhero. The simple fact is that there is mercury inside of each and every one of these bulbs. Mercury! One of — if not the — most toxic metals known to mankind. We have all heard the warnings about it — from health issues and birth defects [associated with]mercury-laden fish, to toxic teeth fillings. Most of these bulbs are thrown in landfills, leaching into groundwater, etc.
The compact light bulb is one of the biggest scams of the green movement ever, and a dangerous one. Articles have been circulating for years about test scores being lower under fluorescent lighting, cows having problems under fluorescents, and folks being downright allergic to them. Now someone has put together this documentary, and here’s hoping it will bring some answers to many folks’ problems: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/toxic-light-bulb-investigation.
I’m thinking your superhero’s head should have been the sun (sustainable), not a manmade toxic object (unsustainable) that runs indirectly off the sun. I’m sure there is a good story here!
— Alice Dolata