Shuler fumbles the heath-care ball and hands it to special interests

We thought that by getting rid of Charles Taylor we were doing better. Heath Shuler has proved he is a DINO, Democrat In Name Only, as our un-representative. The health care and insurance industries gave the second largest amount of money to Heath Shuler out of all North Carolina's representatives, and this is what they bought: his "no" vote on healthcare reform.

Why did he refuse to hold real town hall meetings last summer? It wasn't the tea-party folks. He knew the majority who voted for him would be holding him to task.

Heath Shuler has enough money to buy his family any insurance they need, but he won't support your or my family getting what we need. It's time to make this DINO extinct. WNC deserves someone who will represent real people who live real lives — not a former football player who has not merely fumbled but handed the ball to the special interests.

— Andrew Weatherly
Asheville

SHARE
About Webmaster
Mountain Xpress Webmaster Follow me @MXWebTeam

Before you comment

The comments section is here to provide a platform for civil dialogue on the issues we face together as a local community. Xpress is committed to offering this platform for all voices, but when the tone of the discussion gets nasty or strays off topic, we believe many people choose not to participate. Xpress editors are determined to moderate comments to ensure a constructive interchange is maintained. All comments judged not to be in keeping with the spirit of civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned. See here for our terms of service. Thank you for being part of this effort to promote respectful discussion.

5 thoughts on “Shuler fumbles the heath-care ball and hands it to special interests

  1. travelah

    Andrew, 85% of the country has insurance coverage. Who constitutes the remaining 15%?

  2. travelah

    What is the health care and insurance industry? Who are they and who specifically do they represent? Do you know the true profit margins of the insurance industry (not the hype of “enormous” and giant)?

  3. john

    If there is any entity larger, less responsive (and more wasteful) than an insurance company, it is the Federal government. Brief example: the USPS has gone into the red in the last year alone a little over $3 billion dollars–A regular occurence. Our POTUS has responded to the economic crisis by making it bigger, worse, more dire–due to borrowing and spending money we don’t have to, to an unsustainable degree. (How’s that Stimulus’ workin’ for ya?) Now they want to ‘do it’ with Healthcare? They are asking the taxpaying citizens to once again bend over and bring their own vaseline. No thanks! I say kudos to Heath Shuler for standing up for practicality and common sense. I don’t care if Shuler has wealth or not, he did the right thing. Please look at the issue this way, rather than as a partisan liberal vs conservative battle, or an evil rich vs ‘the people’ battle. (I haven’t even touched on the massive privacy-destroying issues of single-payer, govt’ controlled healthcare.) The quickest way to destroy a nation is to spend all of it’s money and we are well past that point.

  4. entopticon

    Well said Andrew. Shuler has been disgrace to the Democratic Party. He must go.

  5. entopticon

    There are few things funnier, yet as sadly pathetic as the outlandish hypocrisy of right-wing extremist evangelicals fighting to keep millions of people from receiving healthcare.

Leave a Reply

To leave a reply you may Login with your Mountain Xpress account, connect socially or enter your name and e-mail. Your e-mail address will not be published. All fields are required.