Email from friend Molly Milroy:
The high winds caused the fire to spread quickly so that friends Adam, who works at Asheville Lyric Opera Grey Nelson, crew leader at Sundance Power Systems, and Parker Sloan, Planner for the City of Hendersonville lost everything, although thankfully they themselves were unharmed.
The Red Cross has provided a small amount of assistance, but not nearly enough to compensate all of their losses, both material and emotional.
If readers have anything to donate to them…clothes (including jackets, shoes, and work attire), food, electronics, toiletries, cash, gift cards (ANYTHING), please drop it off at Erin Ratliffs apartment: 481 Haw Creek Mews Drive, Asheville NC 28805 or at my house in Montford at 23 B Greenlee Avenue, 28801.
Additionally, they are accepting payments through PayPal, readers to this page to donate: http://mollymilroy.org/donating-to-brevard-road-fire-relief. All money will be given directly to Adam, Grey and Parker to cover items lost in the fire. (We could not set up a specific PayPal account for the fire assistance because it takes a few days to be approved by PayPal and we want to get this out as soon as possible).
We will also be planning a fundraiser of some sort in the next week.
Thank you all for your kindness, generosity, and compassion.
According to WLOS News 13, a West Asheville house caught on fire Friday night. No one was injured, but high winds made it difficult to put out the fire. The house was destroyed. WLOS was on the scene and has video footage shortly after the fire began.
From WLOS News 13:
Firefighters were dispatched to 162 Brevard Road just before 7:30p.m. Fire officials tell News 13 there were two people inside of the home at the time of the blaze but they were able to make it out safely