Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
Bottle and can releases
- **NEW** Hi-Wire Brewing released two collaborative beers over the past week. SMASH Pils II (5% ABV), brewed with The Black Abbey Brewing Co., is a single malt, single hop (Callista) pilsner, and is available in six-packs of 12-ounce cans and on draft. Also now available is Haze-Sesh (4.9% ABV), a hazy session IPA made with Oskar Blues Brewery, double dry-hopped with Cashmere and Wataku. It’s available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans and on draft. Both beers will see limited distribution. Then on Saturday, April 20, Tropical Sour Aged On Pineapple, Mango and Guava (7.2% ABV) will be released at both of its Asheville taprooms. 750 milliliter cork-and-caged bottles cost $18 and will not see distribution.
- **NEW** Burial Beer Co. has three new packaged releases this week. Wednesday, April 17, brings a fresh batch of Blade & Sheath Saison (6% ABV), made with barley, wheat and rye from Riverbend Malt House and hopped with Comet, Cascade and Crystal hops. It’s available in six-packs of 12-ounce cans for $12. Then on Friday, April 19, Difficulties in Comprehension DIPA (8.5% ABV), a collaboration with Bearded Iris Brewing, double dry-hopped with Motueka and Kohatu hops and dosed again with Citra Cryo Powder, will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $18, as will a fresh canning of To Streak Blood Across My Brow DIPA (8.5% ABV), double dry-hopped with Galaxy, in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $18.
- Bhramari Brewing Co. releases Franny’s Farmhouse (5.5% ABV), a hemp-infused farmhouse IPA brewed in collaboration with Franny’s Farmacy, Listermann Brewing Co. and White Labs Asheville, on Saturday, April 20. It will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans and on draft.
- Oskar Blues releases JAHvanilla Ten FIDY Imperial Stout (14.3% ABV) on Saturday, April 20. The beer was made using a blend of bourbon barrel-aged Ten FIDY and double bourbon-barrel aged Ten FIDY, plus Hotbox Roasters’ cold brew coffee and Madagascar vanilla beans. 19.2 ounce stovetop cans cost $12.50 each and 10 ounce pours cost $10.
Small-batch beers and ciders
- UpCountry Brewing Co. releases Hazy Train Hazy Pale Ale (5.8% ABV), double dry-hopped with Citra, Galena and Simcoe, in both its West Asheville and Brevard taprooms on Wednesday, April 17.
- Thirsty Monk Brewery releases a Belgian-style Quad (13 percent ABV), brewed in collaboration with Denver-based Bruz Beers on Wednesday, April 17, at both of its locations.
- Pisgah Brewing Co. releases LEAF Session Ale on Wednesday, April 17, at 6 p.m. in its taproom. Described as “refreshingly hoppy,” it will also be available at Spring LEAF 2019, May 9-12.
- **NEW** In addition to its aforementioned packaged releases also being available on draft, Burial taps two variations of Difficulties in Comprehension DIPA on Friday, April 19: Limoncello Difficulties, aged on lemon, lemon peel and vanilla bean, and Orange Oolong Difficulties, aged on Oolong tea and oranges. Other new offerings currently pouring are Torrent of Souls Mixed Culture Saison Ale with 2nd Use Marionberries and Blackberries (5% ABV) and Graveflower Mixed Culture Saison Ale with Oolong Tea (5% ABV).
- Highland Brewing Co. taps a fresh batch of Give ‘em Helles, Katie! German-style Helles (4.9% ABV) on Thursday, April 18, then follows it up on Saturday, April 20, with Double Tap DIPA (8.7% ABV), hopped with Centennial, Citra, Centennial, Amarillo, Azacca and Denali hops and featuring 42 pounds of freshly pureed pineapple.
- Catawba Brewing Co. taps an Imperial Red IPA (7.9% ABV), hopped with Zythos, Cascade and Simcoe, on Thursday, April 18, at all four of its locations.
- **NEW** Eurisko Beer Co. is currently pouring Vibration Theory Hazy IPA, hopped with Ekuanot, Citra and Mosaic.
- **NEW** Archetype Brewing Co. releases Uphill Gardener (4.45% ABV), a mixed-culture grisette, at both of its locations on Saturday, April 20.
- Ginger’s Revenge releases a Carrot and Peppermint ginger beer (4.7% ABV) on Sunday, April 21.
- **NEW** The Whale presents “Up in Smoke,” a pre-4/20 bash on Friday, April 19, 4:20 p.m.-midnight. Selections from DSSOLVR, Good Word Brewing & Public House, Newgrass Brewing Co., Resident Culture Brewing Co. and Southern Grist Brewing Co. will be available on draft.
- Bruisin’ Ales‘ next free tasting takes place Saturday, April 20, 2-4 p.m., and features selections from Fonta Flora Brewery. Samples from kegs of Best Budz (a dry-hopped DIPA conditioned on hemp flowers) and Sedentary Reverence (an imperial stout aged on Videri cacao nibs, vanilla beans, ancho chile peppers and Ceylon cinnamon, brewed in collaboration with Perennial Artisan Ales) will be poured.
- **NEW** Burial‘s latest Off Topic event takes place Sunday, April 21, at 6 p.m., and features representatives from Edmund’s Oast in Charleston, S.C. $10 entry includes an Edmund’s Oast branded glass, samples of Edmund’s Oast beers and access to the talk.
- **NEW** Tasty Beverage Co. celebrates its fourth anniversary on Sunday, April 21, noon-6 p.m. Beers on tap include an anniversary collaboration with Brewery Bhavana, as well as selections from Hill Farmstead Brewery, Four Saints Brewing Co., Casita, Fonta Flora Brewery, Perennial Artisan Ales, Barreled Souls Brewing Co., Firestone Walker Brewing Co., New Anthem Beer Project and more.