Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pisgah Brewing Co. Pilsner was released on draft over the weekend at the brewery’s 11th anniversary party and makes its way into both Earth Fares and local bottle shops on Wednesday, April 20, in six-packs of cans.
- Burial Beer Co. releases De Swaan (a 6.4 percent ABV stout crafted with 10 malts from The Swaen, a Dutch malt house that’s been operating since 1906) on Tuesday, April 19, and Siege Machine (a 6.6 percent ABV IPA brewed with Riverbend rye, dry-hopped with Citra, Simcoe and Mandarina Bavaria hops and aged on the zest and pulp of Florida murcott honey tangerines) on Thursday, April 21.
- Sister Bad Habit Ale 2016, the third annual collaboration between Asheville Brewing Co. and Thirsty Monk Brewing, debuts at all of the two breweries’ multiple locations on Wednesday, April 20. The latest version of the beer is a session IPA (4.4 percent ABV) brewed with coriander and lemon zest and Citra, Galaxy and Mandarina Bavaria hops in the kettle and as dry hops.
- On Friday, April 22, Highland Brewing Co. releases a Belgian Strong Amber Ale (9.2 percent ABV). Made with Hallertau Blanc and Saphir hops, all Franco-Belges malt, Trappist Ale yeast, amber Belgian candy sugar and aged on French oak, the brew is Highland’s International Women’s Day collaboration beer. Proceeds from its sales will benefit OurVoice, a local nonprofit organization that provides support to victims of sexual violence.
- As of Friday, April 22, both Hi-Wire Brewing tasting rooms are pouring a new small-batch IPA. The 6.4 percent ABV creation features Amarillo, Centennial, Simcoe and Mosaic hops.
- OysterHouse Brewing Co. has a nitro version of its Motown DIPA on draft and a cask of Supermoon Imperial Oyster Stout made with Highland Park 12 year single malt soaked oak chips.
- On Thursday, April 21, Thirsty Monk‘s downtown bar pairs Belgian-style beers from North Carolina breweries with small plates. Two days later, on Saturday, April 23, it celebrates the collaboration beers made by Mother Earth Brewing and Nantahala Brewing Co. Both Downstairs Mix-Up West (a 5.1 percent ABV hoppy Belgian Single that uses Azacca, Idaho 7 and Mosaic hops) and Downstairs Mix-Up East (a 6.2 percent ABV IPA brewed with a touch of oats, dried nectarines and Azacca, Idaho 7 and Mosaic hops) will be on tap, plus a staple offering from each brewery.
- Bruisin’ Ales‘ free weekly tasting on Thursday, April 21 from 5-7 p.m. features selections from New Holland Brewing Co. Samples of White Hatter (Belgian-style white pale ale), The Poet (oatmeal stout), Pilgrim’s Dole (wheatwine) and Dragon’s Milk (imperial stout) will be poured.
- Tasty Beverage Co. celebrates its first anniversary on Saturday, April 23 with an all-day party starting at 11 a.m. Featured drafts include 2016 Founders Brewing Co. Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Oude Beersel Oude Lambiek, Trophy Brewing Co. El Hombre Horchata Stout, Green Man Brewery Otis Ray IPA, Grimm Artisanal Ales Tessaract DIPA (packaged 4/10) and Wicked Weed Brewing Myrtille Blueberry Sour. The featured bottle list will have limited amounts of Olde Hickory Brewery Omega Point barleywine and Haw River Farmhouse Ales “Brown Gin” Barrel-Aged Regent’s Rambler Tripel for on-premise consumption only.
In the news
- Over the April 9 weekend, Asheville breweries took home multiple medals at the Tennessee Championship of Beer. Highland Brewing Co. won a Best of Show gold medal for Tasgall II Scotch Ale and a Best of Show silver for Early’s Hoppy Wheat, as well as first-round silvers for Oatmeal Porter, Saw-Whet Saison and Kinsman Black Mocha Stout and a bronze for Gaelic Ale. Green Man Brewery Porter won a Best of Show gold while ESB took home a first-round gold, Dweller Imperial Stout and Wayfarer IPA took silvers and La Mas Negra Imperial Black Ale a bronze. Catawba Brewing Co. Mother Trucker Pale Ale won a Best of Show silver with REDiculous Red IPA and White Zombie Ale receiving first-round golds. New Belgium Brewing Co. Hoppy Blonde Ale won a first-round silver.
- Wicked Weed Brewing announced via its Instagram account on Tuesday, April 19 that it is building a bottle shop at its Funkatorium location that will be open in the next few weeks.
- On Monday, April 25, Highland Brewing Co. will brew four barrels of Stone Brewing Arrogant Bastard Ale as part of the Arrogant Bastard Hits the Road program. According to Stone’s website, each “adoptive” brewery is “entrusted to ‘foster’ the sacred recipe to brew a single, limited batch of the liquid arrogance to be served on draft in their taproom for on-site imbibing only, with proceeds going to charity.” The finished product will be on tap at Highland starting June 3 and sales benefit Foster Care to Success.