Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
Bottle and can releases
- **NEW** On Thursday, Sept. 20, Noble Cider releases its first canned products. Lime & Hibiscus (4.0 percent ABV) and Grapefruit & Hops (4.0 percent ABV) — part of the new Cider Spritzer series, each of which features a pairing of an organic citrus peel and a botanical, along with hard cider made from fresh-pressed apples and carbonated water — will be available in six-packs of 12-ounce cans at Noble’s taproom and in select are retail stores. The second release of Lemon & Elderflower and Orange & Jasmine Tea is expected later this year.
- On Friday, Sept. 21, Archetype Brewing Co. releases its first canned offerings. Cowboy Poet Lager will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans and both Explorer IPA and Talking to Plants Witbier will be sold in six-packs of 12-ounce cans.
- Burial Beer Co. has a dual can release on Saturday, Sept. 22. The Savages of Ruminating Minds IPA (7.2 percent ABV), double dry-hopped with Mosaic, Motueka and Idaho 7, will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $16. Oasis of Imagination Sonoran Lager (4.4 percent ABV), the sixth installment in the brewery’s Ambient Terrain Rustic Lager Series and a collaboration with Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co., will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $12. It’s made with barley and blue corn grown and malted in Arizona and an experimental variety of neomexicanus hops native to the Southwest.
Small-batch beers and ciders
- Oskar Blues Brewery taps Märzenly Acceptable, a small-batch Märzen, on Tuesday, Sept. 18.
- UpCountry Brewing Co. launches a New Beer Wednesdays series on Sept. 19 with a Carolina Common called Common Feel The Noise!
- In addition to its aforementioned packaged products also being available on draft, Burial has two new releases this week. Vivid Portents of Doom Golden Sour with Pinot Gris Grapes (6 percent ABV), aged for three months in the brewery’s house puncheons, will be tapped Wednesday, Sept. 19. Bloodtusk Keller Pils (5.1 percent ABV), made from a decoction of Pilsner malt and finished with American hops, rolls out Friday, Sept. 21.
- On Wednesday, Sept. 19, Wedge Brewing Co. taps Beer (5.3 percent ABV), made with Pilsen malt and Motueka hops, at its Foundation location, and Helles Bock (7.1 percent), a German-style lager with all German malts and Hallertauer Mittelfrüh hops, at its Wedge Studios location.
- Catawba Brewing Co. starts pouring a traditional German-style Roggenbier (4.1 percent ABV) on Wednesday, Sept. 19, at all four of its taprooms.
- Archetype releases Cleopatra Complex (8.4 percent ABV) on Friday, Sept. 21. The triple-fermented, wine barrel-aged, mixed-culture peach saison took 14 months to make.
- On Friday, Sept. 21, Highland Brewing Co. releases Oh My Gourd! (6.9 percent ABV), a pumpkin spice latte ale brewed with pumpkin, spices from Spicewalla, coffee and lactose.
- **NEW** Mad Co. Brew House taps Wet Hop Pale Ale (5.5 percent ABV), the brewery’s first wet hopped beer (made with Chinook from Fools Errand Farm in Laurel Springs) on Friday, Sept. 21, at noon.
- Twin Leaf Brewery‘s Fall Fest returns on Saturday, Sept. 22, 1-5 p.m., during which Arkenstone Oktoberfest, Peachy Arsonist Smoked Peach Kettle Sour, Beorn’s Delight Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale, Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Berliner Weisse and Raspberry Chipotle Lager will be tapped.
- **NEW** Sanctuary Brewing Co. will release four new beers in conjunction with a watch party for the Great American Beer Festival on Saturday, Sept. 22: Haze Pig (6.8 percent ABV), a New England style version of its Hop Pig West Coast style IPA, featuring London Fog yeast; Fancy Pig (6.1 percent ABV), a Brut style version of Hop Pig, made with champagne yeast; Haziversary Double IPA (7.4 percent ABV); and Dr. Dunkel (5.9 percent ABV), featuring all German ingredients.
- Bruisin’ Ales has two free tastings this week. On Thursday, Sept. 20, 5-7 p.m. features samples of German imports from the Merchant du Vin catalog, while Friday, Sept. 21’s 5-7 p.m. session highlights offerings from Hi-Wire Brewing.
- One World Brewing hosts a weekend-long grand opening for its West Asheville location, Friday, Sept. 21-Sunday, Sept. 23. The full list of events is available online.
- Catawba hosts its third consecutive OktoBEERfest on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2-8 p.m., at its South Slope location. German-style beers, including Märzen, Altbier, Roggenbier and Festbier, will be on tap. A rundown of other offerings is available online.
- **NEW** Southern Appalachian Brewery hosts its 8th annual Oktoberfest on Saturday, Sept. 22, 1-6 p.m. The brewery’s fall seasonal, The Autumn Ale, will be released that afternoon. The full list of events is available online.