- Celebrate the multifaceted emotion this year, with a multitude of local events.Two concurrent projects are underway: One is an album of Brian MacWilliams' songs, provisionally titled Being Here; the other is Brian's Songs, a documentary that tells his story.The annual celebration moves through a new South Slope route on Feb. 11.The Smoky Mountain News reporter reads from her debut novel Feb. 9 at City Lights Bookstore.The soft deadline for local kids to submit a minute and a half film adaptation of a John Newbery Medal-winner or Honor book is Feb. 14. The festival itself takes…Touring as a trio, the electronic/rock ensemble plays Sly Grog Lounge on Feb. 9.In 1959, Alabama state senator E.O. Eddins Sr. (renamed Higgins in the play) became aware of a children’s book called The Rabbits’ Wedding, which showed the marriage of a white…The latest from local playwright David Brendan Hopes is a touching coming-of-age relationship drama featuring a trio of strong performances.The Cuban-born singer and percussionist brings his Latin jazz ensemble to UNC Asheville on Feb. 8.
- Going raw can offer health benefits, but the diet also presents challenges.Thirsty Monk, Oskar Blues and other businesses combine beer with an assortment of foods for a memorable night out.From rustic culinary classes to tea and scones, WNC food businesses are planning some creative ways to celebrate love.Teams compete for top honors in the fifth annual Congregation Beth HaTephila Souper Bowl. Also: A vegan wine and cheese tasting at Greenlife Grocery, vegan barbecue at Sanctuary Brewing Co.,…Proceeds from the barista latte art competition on Feb. 8 at Vortex Doughnuts benefit the Tranzmission Prison Project.
- The paleo diet — with its focus on eating as our Paleolithic ancestors did — has its share of Asheville-area fans. But not everyone is on board with the regimen.Salt can be good for you, even necessary for health, in certain quantities. But how do you decide whether and how much salt to shake on your food?Asheville professionals grapple with the sugar question every day: whether to cut its consumption a lot, a little or not at all. Experts are all over the map on this…Eating according to one's ayurvedic dosha and blood type are among the approaches through which people achieve individualized health.
- Dr. Robert S. Carroll founded Highland Hospital in 1904. Originally located on Haywood Street in downtown Asheville, it was first known as Dr. Carroll’s Sanitarium.We all need friends, and public lands in Western North Carolina increasingly receive care in the form of “Friends” nonprofit groups. In an era of shrinking federal budgets for parks…Few words have the ability to inspire more fear, frustration and trepidation among older Americans across the country than “nursing home.” But for those confronting the prospect of needing long-term…
- "The Biltmore Estate is truly an exceptional place. My family put off a long-awaited visit to the place, and I'm glad I made the trip in November.""Asheville's 'Me Too' movement is one tip of a many-pronged iceberg in our oversexualized culture, which both fosters and condemns the desecration of human sexuality."ASHEVILLE"Here’s to celebrating this important and diverse technique of food production in hopes that its products continue to proliferate locally for the health and well-being of everyone.""We can try to buck this trend by investing in our city schools in ways that the state budgeting process cannot touch: volunteering time and donating money or resources."