- This year’s Southern Women Authors: Writing America Between the Wars series, set to take place on 10 evenings between September and December, starting Wednesday, Sept. 12, at the West Asheville…Throughout the first decade of this century, Jamie McLean played guitar in beloved New Orleans institution Dirty Dozen Brass Band. For the last several years, he has served as guitarist…The music and spoken word performance event takes place Sept. 9 at The Block Off Biltmore.Seven regional storytellers and Papadosio side project EarthCry perform at the Dogwood Alliance event, Sept. 8 at The Grey Eagle.The Asheville-based DJ spins at LaZoom Room on Sept. 8 and every Saturday through Sept. 22.'New Vision, New Hope: Asheville Artists in Recovery,' an exhibition of works by more than 20 local creatives who are navigating their own paths through rehabilitation, opens at the Asheville…The opening reception for the first in a series of thematic group shows takes place Sept. 8 at Izzy's Coffee Den.The characters and plot in general make us think that this could all be happening in the next town over from the Cohen Brothers movie Fargo.The "dance theater satire for liberals and their progeny" runs Sept. 7-9 and 14-16 at BeBe Theater.
- Asheville Wine & Food Festival founder and director Bob Bowles says he faced challenges in securing a suitable location for this year's event. In the meantime, a group of local…The prolific, native berries, can easily be found along the edges of forests or in grassy or disturbed areas in Western North Carolina August through December.On Thursday, Sept. 13, ASAP will bring farmers and restaurants together in its third annual Local Food Experience. Also: Asheville Pizza & Brewing Co. rolls out a collaborative pizza series;…
- An ever-increasing interest in hemp's medicinal and culinary applications is giving rise to new partnerships.
- Montreat College and Brevard College lacrosse players are featured in a new ESPN Films documentary, the Fine Arts hosts the world premiere of Katie Damien's new comedy and more.
- In 1941, two years before the Asheville Colored Hospital opened, Asheville's African-American population numbered 14,500. At the time, the segregated city only had 21 hospital beds available for the entire…Community EMTs will hit the streets of downtown Asheville for a six-week pilot program to test a new model of providing community policing and response services.On Aug. 3, Jordan Gillis, acting assistant secretary of the Army for installations, energy and environment presented N.C. National Guard Field Management Station No. 1 with the Secretary of the…Thanks to a second round of state grant funding announced in early August, area students will have access to an expanded series of coding programs and courses at the high…In 2009, Alyce Knaflich began volunteering to help women, veterans and homeless people. In 2014, she created the Aura Foundation, a nonprofit that serves homeless women veterans in Buncombe, Haywood…Shortly before greeting students for the start of the 2018-19 school year, a small group of local educators rallied at the Buncombe County Courthouse on Aug. 24, pressing for more…A new political action committee wants to flip the Buncombe County Board of Commissioners, which currently has a 4-3 Democratic majority, to Republican. Their motivation? Democrats controlled the board and,…Meadows noted that Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Brock Long’s letter on Aug. 20 denying Gov. Roy Cooper's request for a federal disaster declaration was likely the final word on…Transit advocates called for the city to more strictly enforce its contract with RATP Dev, which manages the ART system, citing 539.5 hours of missed service in July. But city…
- "Somehow our country has devolved into a land that when we disagree with one another's politics, race, gender preference or religious choice, some of us feel it’s all right to…"If your government can’t solve the problem, and they probably never will, it’s time you take matters into your own hands.""To inquire, 'Is this stream clean?' is a valid endeavor, and together we can take legitimate steps to answer it.""Who are we to tell someone the time, place and manner to speak up about oppression? And what better place than right where it is happening.""Americans are tired of paying too much for health care. We are fed up with politicians pursuing partial and incremental solutions, such as health savings accounts.""As the Dogwood Health Trust forms its board, I urge its founding members to address the underlying determinants of our failing health by investing in a local food system with…ASHEVILLE, N.C.ASHEVILLE, N.C."The future of transportation is being driven by a silent group of electric-car enthusiasts who will be displaying the latest and greatest in electric vehicles on Sunday, Sept. 9, at…