- Amid the pandemic, Juniper Winnecour and her mother, Meg, applied for the Chateau Orquevaux residency in France. Two years later, the pair of local artists are preparing for their travels…A Grateful Dead cover band celebrates a milestone. Plus, a new book from Asheville native; a celebration for the Hominy Creek Greenway; and more.
- "[Owning a food truck] is constant maneuvering and pivoting — and figuring out what works," says chef Queenie Mcleod, owner of Queens Island Cuisine food truck.Oh boy, now they've got this knucklehead making beer...Asheville native opens a coffee shop at The District in Biltmore Village. Plus, Elliott Moss' new ventures; Asheville Mardi Gras' Cajun Cookoff returns; and more.
- A new pilot program that started this summer helps people with opioid use disorder to initiate medication-assisted treatment in Mission’s emergency room, and then coordinates follow-up care.
- With the city-owned auditorium closed to ticketed shows for the foreseeable future after its heating, ventilation and air-conditioning system failed in July, leaders in the city and local arts community…Compass Point Village, a renovated Days Inn motel on Tunnel Road, will provide one-room apartments and supportive services to 85 people, many of them considered to be chronically homeless.The Planning and Zoning Commission will review a request from Durham-based civil engineering firm McAdams Co. to adopt the vision plan for the Pack Square Revitalization Project that was released…Three Buncombe County shelters likely will add 43 beds for the area's homeless population after the Buncombe County Board of Commissioners unanimously approved its half of the funding request at…In a presentation to Asheville City Council last week, David Melton, director of the Water Resources Department, said the five new positions for the “valve team” will allow the department…
- "We will honor all local efforts for a more just, peaceful and nonviolent world.""One of the most avoidable gun violence tragedies is unintentional shootings by young children.""I think teenagers both locally and across the country should get a more thorough medical exam from their primary care givers.""The project motto has become: 'The community builds a park; the park builds a community.'""On balance, our ordinance would significantly reduce the amount of pollution, waste and greenhouse gases created to help county residents carry their groceries out of the store.""There’s no place in your 'Best Of' to identify the top three local villains. It serves no purpose and doesn’t serve our community in any way.""If they don’t like particular books, they don’t have to read them or allow their kids to read them. They do not, however, have the right to make those decisions…